Has anyone here made their own beef jerky? Can you give me tips?

by UnConfused 25 Replies latest social physical

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    The mongols would keep meat under their saddle.

I don't have a horse. Do you think it would work if I just left sliced meat in my trouser pockets all day?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I just spoke with a guy in the grocery store who has a dehydrator and has make jerky several times and then said that hamburger makes a great "jerky".

• redredrose
    redredrose

Echo JeffT and HappyDad:

You want it THIN, I used a round roast (when we were still going backpacking) and set it up in the freezer.
    Sometimes I'd marinate it in soy sauce, Worchestershire, fresh grated ginger,fresh minced garlic, black pepper, crushed red pepper and a little mirin (a sweet Chinese cooking wine).

We liked it spicy!

I'd marinate the slices at least 24 hours before dehydrating it.

This is making me hungry!

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Hey what dehydrators do/did you use and what do you recommend?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Whatever is on sale at WalMart. If you can't find them ask one of the exploited slaves to show you.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hang it up high, Blowflies only fly so high. I forget how high, Google it.

When I did it, I didn't worry about blowflies, I just hung weiner schnitzel on the clothesline on a really hot, sunny day. I had a fair bit of cayenne on it and that kept the blowflies off.

It was superb.

Cheers
    Chris

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I bought a roast yesterday, sliced it all up, and marinated for 20 hours.

Experimenting with 3 flavours:

1) Soy Sauce, Terriaki, Honey

2) Soy Sauce, LOAD of Black Pepper, Onion Salt

3) Spicy Soy Sauce, Crushed Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Garlic Salt

I put wooden skewers thru them and hung them in the oven. I'll know in about two hours if it's a winner, or waste of €10 worth of meat.

The kids are ready to try "meat candy" for the first time.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well the way I ate red meat b4, u should have noticed

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I'm in jerky heaven!

It took a bit longer than I thought. When I was checking it there were big clouds of steam coming out of the oven. Then I realized I'd be better off leaving the oven door open a crack to let the moisture escape.

All three flavours came out nice.

• Forscher
    Forscher

I've made beef jerky in the past.

After doing some research I found out that round, steak or roast, is the best cut to use. It also has the benefit of being about the cheapest cut of meat as well. My dehydrator is a ronco. But any dehydrator will work. One can even use an oven if the oven can work on a very low temperature. One tip, if your dehydrator or oven doesn't already have anything to catch some of the moisture which the meat will lose put something under to catch it. Otherwise you'll have a bit of a mess. There are recipes online and other information. Enjoy your jerky!

Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit