Just a PRUDENT Reminder in These Days of Rampant Forums

by BabaYaga 23 Replies latest jw friends

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

I've wondered the same as ozziepost mentions. I'm not saying she is or isn't legit, because I have no idea. But within hours of Simon's announcement, she had set up a new board modeled after this one and the group had rushed to "pass her the torch." That in itself seemed odd to me, because she'd only been here for a couple of weeks! And now I see people posting here offering to send money.

Like I said, I've no idea if she's legit or not, and I'm not trying to sound accusatory or anything (and no offense intended to amama2six or anyone else). I'm just saying, maybe we should all slow down a little bit. JWD will be operating as is for several months still, things are secure and moderated here, and there's plenty of time for new homes to develop and gel. I just think a mad rush into anything is generally a bad idea, and IMHO there are enough "things that make you go hmmm" with recent events that a little care and caution is warranted.

Just my two cents.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

This is exactly my concern and the reason I will not sign up to new forums....not yet anyway.

What I would like to see is a new forum managed or controlled by a few known and trusted JWD veterans. That I could get on board with. I would also like to see a place where no one person has the control to pull the plug when they get tired of the project.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Setting up a forum is not hard. ADMININSTERING a forum is hard.

You can set up a forum in less than an hour.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Ozziepost wrote: I'm intrigued how someone with six underage kids has so much time these days.

LOL That's very funny - more because I've been thinking the same exact thing for the past 2 days. I even called a JWD friend and asked that same question this morning.

There are a few more odd coincidences that just may be serendipitous timing, but I think I will sit back a bit and ride along with JWD until it finally closes its doors.

I made my decision to wait only after signing up at one other site. It was a site that I had joined about 2 years ago but never posted on. The site does not match my style so I don't think I'll be posting there much, if at all.

When I jump between the sites just to look around (without registering) it surprises me to see how different people's online personalities are than here. Same person, very different presentation. It's causing me to step back and watch for a little bit - almost as cautious as when I first joined JWD.

-Aude.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

This reminds me of what elders do when they take someone to the back room.

j/k

When I jump between the sites just to look around (without registering) it surprises me to see how different people's online personalities are than here. Same person, very different presentation. It's causing me to step back and watch for a little bit - almost as cautious as when I first joined JWD.

-Aude.

Is so true Aude. On JWD you have to really watch what you say (JWD is like being at the Convention). One one I am more laid back (like being at the Congregation Meeting), and the other one ... total kickback (like a bookstudy). Something for everyone. Even for my split personalities ;-)

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

There have been a few reminders to change passwords - regularly.

Posting on this thread got me to thinking... I just changed my JWD password again.

THANK YOU to the posters who gave that reminder. Good advise.

Also, for what it's worth... I got locked out of my first JWD account because I could not remember that weird password that was assigned. I did not know that each of us can go to our profiles and update/change our passwords to something easier to remember. Or just for added security. Now I know.

Just hope I don't forget my *new* password here. It's one I've never ever used before.

Thanks all.

-Aude.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

great advice

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    great advice

Yea! You're back. Thank you, Ozzie. For both of you.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I have never once jumped on a newbie with suspicions since being on this site and have often defended them against others who do. However, I too find it a little strange that someone who is getting their phone shut off because they can't pay the bill has the time and resources to spend getting a new internet site up and running?

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Fair comments I suppose. Of course, amama2six is likely to be a genuine, helpful member who's interested in giving people a place to post and communicate, but caution is unfortunately needed on the web, especially with a relatively sensitive subject area like ex-JW'ism.

For those of you unsure, bear in mind I may be starting a community site in a couple of weeks if my research and testing goes well. At least we have time to test and evaluate before we migrate to other places.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit