Steve Hassan - "Exit counselor"

by happysunshine 14 Replies latest jw friends

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

I just finished his book "Combatting Cult Mind Control", and was very inspired. He is the world's premiere "exit counselor", or someone who helps others get out of destructive groups. His web site here:

http://www.freedomofmind.com/

An interesting video of him training health professionals is here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5351483270625598640

Anyway, I was wanting to use some of his techniques to try and talk with my family. While there is a lot I can use, one challenge I have is that the approach he outlines in the book (and subsequent examples) are for people who joined up into these groups. In the case of my brother and sister, they were born into this group, so I'm wondering how to apply some of Hassan's points, for example "accessing the pre-cult identity". Also, the task seems a bit overwhelming, as I'm the only one who's not in the cult. Any ideas?

Anyway, thanks a ton for any help!

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

His techniques are based on NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming)

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Do you know anyone who could become part of your team and make contact with your family?

I'm currently reading his more recent book - Releasing The Bonds.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

you need to find your brother and sisters core personality ... maybe give them some personality tests???

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My suggestion would be to engage them in a conversation that involves hobbies or other interests aside from jw activities.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Has anyone ever taken the briggs meyer personality tests?

They come out with personality identifiers like ISTN or ENFP and stuff like that.

What could be presented as a fun 'party game' to learn about yourselves and friends could actually be useful in determining core personality.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Hi Happysunshine,

I'm in the exact same situation. I think the book is great but its hard to apply it to the situation you describe. One thing I'm trying to do is to keep a real warm friendship with my family that's still in. I made the mistake early on of getting in to the subjects of UN, wrong dates, dishonest quotes etc and it ended up almost getting heated which in turn cements their beliefs even more.

If you read the bit in the book about mini interventions that might be useful. Try to get the person to see value in thinking for themselves.

Let me know how it goes for you. I might be able to learn from what you do too.

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

Cheers for the interest.

Actually, I think most of the book info could be used pretty much as is. If you choose to go that route, it just requires a bit of retooling. So (1)people raised in the group could be dealt with as a long term member. And (2) rather than use the "former identity" (as I believe Steve refers to it - basically what the person was like before joining), one could use an alternative identity, perhaps an idealized mishmash of what the person could be like if they hadn't been in that group. Obviously knowing how they tick, what they like/dislike, have potential for, etc., will help a lot.

Of course, this strikes me as a tremendous challenge, and maybe best looked at as a long-term, hit/miss kind of thing. But then again, the truth is powerful.

I was kind of hoping there would be some exit counselors on this site who could give me some new ideas.

• hubert
    hubert

Happy, try to find out what displeases the j.w.'s about what they are being taught, and gently work on that.

I found out way back that there is no "magic bullet" to get them out.

Hubert

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    try to find out what displeases the j.w.'s about what they are being taught, and gently work on that.

AWESOME POINT!. That is how I got my mother out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit