by brinjen 13 Replies latest social humour

• brinjen
    brinjen

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

Wish I'd thought of that one!

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

That is hilarious!

I have Vista and absolutely hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• fokyc
    fokyc

My wife, sister fokyc has 'Vista' on her computer, it's wondeful!

We can't Hibernate, Sleep or even turn it off ourselves!

It will Hibernate on it's own after the set time, BUT a manual turn OFF, NO WAY

It does have some interesting points and it does allow Sister fokyc to use the official websites!

watchtower.org jw-media.org and jw.org for the mp3's

fokyc

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    It will Hibernate on it's own after the set time, BUT a manual turn OFF, NO WAY

Click the windows logo (formerly known as the Start button) At the bottom-right of the menu, is an arrow next to the lock. Click it and you will see all of your power off options. You can also configure the power buttons on the computer to do whatever you like - sleep, shut down, whatever from the power options in Control Panel (Start, Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what the power buttons do). Very simple. (Too simple in my opinion)

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I think you're all dazed and confused. I've run it on 6 different computers - both old and new. Only problem I ever had was finding a driver for a very old scanner. Other than that the old computers run noticably faster than they did with Windows XP.

• Galileo
    Galileo

I was a beta tester for Windows Vista, so I have been using it now for over two years in some form or another. I have never understood the complaints people had about it. At launch, it had some incompatibility problems with some very old hardware, a few programs like Quickbooks (which is the fault of the software developers that wanted to force people to buy new versions of their software instead of patching their old stuff), and some sound cards. All of these issues were fixed long ago. Vista is far superior to XP on a modern computer. My computer is four years old and runs Vista blazingly fast and is far more reliable than it ever was with XP. Bashing Vista has become the fashionable thing to do, but it is unjustified. The guy in the video that says Vista was incompatible with everything in his brand new computer is a liar, a moron, or both.

Have you seen "The Mojave Experiment?" http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I had to upgrade a few apps when I bought my computer with Vista. That's expected. The most annoying was Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro, which was supposed to work with Vista. Adobe's patch helped somewhat, but I still get the occasional "not responding" when doing nothing more than trying to scroll to the next page. I haven't upgraded to Acrobat 9 yet. For now my workaround consists of lighting a smoke and waiting a couple of minutes for it to begin responding again. HP provided only a very basic driver for my scanner, which I've had for 7 years. The scanner works perfectly, so I'm not about to replace it. I'm continuing to use my scanner on my XP box.

My Vista box has a dual core processor and 2 GB of RAM. My XP box is 4 years old, 3.2 GHZ processor and 1 GB of RAM. Side by side, The old XP box outperforms my new machine in everything - even when I weigh it down by running 2 VMWare virtual machines simultaneously, one running Solaris 10 and the other Windows Server 2003.

That being said, I like some of the new features in Vista, particularly UAC which most people seem to hate. If I had a quad core processor and another GB of RAM my performance issues would be a thing of the past.

My biggest beef was with SP1 for Vista. After installing it, I needed to search for a file. I didn't remember which drive it was on, or even if it was on a network share. I have a couple of external drives and some shares on a server as well as 3 250 GB drives in the box. I right-clicked on a directory in Explorer, and guess what? NO SEARCH OPTION ON THE CONTEXT MENU!!! SP1 removed it. I was livid.

W

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Most of the complaints about Vista when it was released was incompatibility with both software and hardware ( drivers etc.)

When people went out and purchased it a soon as it was released and quickly installed it they became dismayed on how many pieces of their software

and some of their peripherals weren't compatible , and this really started the slamming of the OS added too there wasn't any perceivable speed difference and some

found it even slower than XP.

I like it now , now that I have upgraded my computer hardware with a faster CPU and 4gs. of ram.

I feel its more secure with numerous features , its appearance is better, it has the latest Direct X built in for gaming

and I can still run my 7 yr. old printer by using native vista drivers.

Added too that most software developers have now up dated their software to run on Vista so there shouldn't be any problems.

I think Microsoft needed to make these changes to the OS, I'm just not all too sure they needed to recreate a whole new OS to accomplish this.

Maybe it was just a business opportunity in support of the share holders $$$

• Simon
    Simon

Vista isn't too bad as long as you have decent hardware. Some of the changes they made seem to be change just for the sake of change (and combined with Office 2007 Ribbon Bar ... well, "Thank You" for turning me into a new user who can't do anything overnight!).

If his hardware is incompatible though it's his own fault ... how 'new' is it? Why not buy compatible / ready hardware knowing that Vista was out or coming out? Is it really Microsoft's fault or his crappy hardware manufacturer who are not supporting their product with new drivers?

BTW: I run Windows 2008 as a workstation ... it seems like Vista but finished / now rushed out.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Vuck Fista

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit