Mistakes Admitted by WTS?

by Marvin Shilmer 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

In writing the Society advocates admitting mistakes, and apologizing too for that matter. But what do they actually do?

I agree that on very rare occasions the Society has admitted a specific mistake outright. The one occasion coming to my mind is of the 1979 district conventions where speakers were told to frankly acknowledge the WTS’ responsibility for disappointment surrounding the 1975 date. This admission was published using sideways language in the 1980 yearbook. But this admission is so rare it stands out as practically unique. So what is policy and what do they do?

Watchtower policy is to admit error. But, here’s the catch, the version of admission they apply to themselves as a matter of policy is different that you and I would normally expect and different from what they advocate for others. Policy is:

“When we make mistakes, as all imperfect humans do, let us be ready to acknowledge them, even as the “faithful and discreet slave,” made up of imperfect fleshly men, has had to make corrections.” (w81 8/15 28)

What does this mean? It means, for themselves, the Society pretends making a correction is tantamount to making an admission of error.

Now my questions are:

Is this a correct reading of the Society’s policy, and what moral problems do you see with this sort of policy?

HS, I agree with your comments as they apply to liability. But the Society does, I believe, assert that it admits its mistakes. Apply the liability problems you presented to what I believe is the Society’s policy and actions and tell me how you think it washes out.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Personally, I can't think of any instance where they have actually accepted full responsibility for an error and offered an apology. Surrounding the 1975 incident, they did express some "regret" that "some statements were more definite than advisable".

In actual practice they tend to alter their 'present understandings' under the guise of "new light" without acknowleging the past understandings and any consequenses that might have went along with believing them.

A favourite seems to be to pass off past mistakes as the infamous "some" class, who always seem to be "reading too much into things" or perhaps have "suffered more than others due to a stricter conscience".

I agree with HS, that they just CAN'T apologize. I have had the same experience with banks where they will cover over and above all costs relating to an error on their part, but will under no circumstance issue an apology.

Perhaps it would incur some sort of legal accountability, but more likely it would destroy that all-important image of fallible infallibility. It really is a brilliant scam to accept that you are imperfect but make no specific admissions as to where exactly you have made mistakes.

Much of it has to do with the rank and file's confidence in the arrangement. Once the leadership starts acknowleging mistakes, they can start to question present teachings because confidence diminishes with each apology made. Maybe they might have more respect for them being decent people if they apologized, but religion has never been about that sort of thing.

Path

• ballistic
    ballistic

Have you ever had a friend or relative return after a long time and they seem to have changed in appearance?
    Their partner may have never noticed the change, which although drastic, occurred in small increments over a relatively long period of time.
    It is the same in the organisation; their beliefs of fifty years ago would get you before a judicial commitee today, and their beliefs now will get you hung, drawn and quartered in ten years time.
    But ask any witness about this, and he will stare at you with glazed eyes and will say "the light just gets brighter, it is Jehovah's will, we must trust the organisation, Jehovah uses imperfect men to tell of his wisdom, we must not doubt what the faithfull and discreet slave tell us!"
    And they trully believe this and doubt not, for they do not know.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Marvin,

This is among the best admittance of mistakes:

"When we make mistakes, as all imperfect humans do, let us be ready to acknowledge them, even as the "faithful and discreet slave," made up of imperfect fleshly men, has had to make corrections." Watchtower 8/15 1981 Page 28

"Do we humbly accept Jehovah's arrangement in the Christian congregation, respecting the imperfect men serving as overseers?" Watchtower 11/1 1980 Page 23

"Yes, imperfect men are being used to help us, from the governing body to the elders in our congregations" Watchtower 18/15 1975 Page 509

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Nicodemus
    Nicodemus

Marvin,

My “two cents” on this topic.

I have wondered about the legal aspects of this issue myself. It seems to me that the Society doesn’t necessarily have a problem admitting mistakes in the distant past. The best example that I can think of is that almost every publication we put out for internal consumption, it seems, talks about how Jehovah “judged his organization” in the years leading up to 1919. It sure seems that the Society clearly admits that errors were made during that period. But, of course, all involved are long gone from the earthly scene.

For example, an entire chapter is devoted to this period, and the fight for control over the Society, in the Proclaimers book. However, the events in Bethel in the late-1970’s and early-1980’s are given only very brief mention, without any specifics. From a historical perspective, it could be argued that these events--culminating in the dismissal, and later disfellowshipping, of an active member of the Governing Body--were as significant as anything in the Rutherford era.

To be fair, with respect to the 1975 issue, some fairly straightforward admissions of error are made in the Proclaimers book. Examples:

jv 104 8 Declaring the Good News Without Letup (1942-1975)
    At the convention held in Baltimore, Maryland, F. W. Franz gave the concluding talk. He began by saying: “Just before I got on the platform a young man came to me and said, ‘Say, what does this 1975 mean?’” Brother Franz then referred to the many questions that had arisen as to whether the material in the new book meant that by 1975 Armageddon would be finished, and Satan would be bound. He stated, in essence: ‘It could. But we are not saying. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don’t any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that.’

In the years following 1966, many of Jehovah’s Witnesses acted in harmony with the spirit of that counsel. However, other statements were published on this subject, and some were likely more definite than advisable. This was acknowledged in The Watchtower of March 15, 1980 (page 17). (bold mine)

and:

jv 632-3 28 Testing and Sifting From Within
    Later on, during the years from 1935 through 1944, a review of the overall framework of Bible chronology revealed that a poor translation of Acts 13:19, 20 in the King James Version, along with certain other factors, had thrown off the chronology by over a century. This later led to the idea—sometimes stated as a possibility, sometimes more firmly—that since the seventh millennium of human history would begin in 1975, events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign might start to take place then. (bold mine)
    However, it must also be remembered that these statements were not published until 18 years after the fact.

And this is where I feel the Society falls short in setting the example for their own flock. It is as if any apology almost needs to be forced out through pure weight of embarrassment, and is only then given briefly, somewhat grudgingly, and couched in defensive terms (“yes, some statements were inadvisable, but we also said . . .). How does that compare with Saul’s response when confronted by the prophet Samuel? (1 Sa 15:17-29)

If elders, husbands, wives, parents, yes all Christians, adopt such as their policy for apologizing, what kind of organization will we have?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

The wts never errs. Although not infallible, they as time goes on get clarifications but their views were not wrong at the time because the light gets brighter and brighter. Make sense?

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Fisherman,

The WTS never makes mistakes? Are you kidding?

In 1907 the WTS taught that 1914 would see the culmination of Armageddon. Do you think that was something less than a mistake?

Marvin Shilmer

• blondie
    blondie

Marvin, based on the fact that Fisherman is bringing up your old topics and disagreeing with them, I think he is just trying to yank your chain.

Love, Blondie

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Hello, Blondie

Then s/he'll find out the chained is attached to something substantive.

Best regards, as always

Marvin Shilmer

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Martin, when they do admit a mistake, and they rarely do, it's usually something small that misdirects away from something big. For example, rutherford called into question the reasoning ability of anyone who didn't fully espouse the soiciety's chonology viewpoints of the early 1920's, but when those years passed and none of their prophecies came true, they said that it was just a case of over-eager expectations.

They also like to blame other's for their mistake but in subtle ways. They blame god and jesus since those indirectly by first saying that a certain teaching is "indispuably" from god and then when it proves false they say that god wanted them to believe that false teaching at the time so he could lead them to the truth. They also blame the reader for reading too much into one of their articles even if it clear that the original article said exactly what they are being accused of having said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit