Class Action Lawsuit

by mikepence 54 Replies latest jw friends

• mikepence
    mikepence

I am seriously considering finding out what is involved in putting together a lawsuit against the WTS. One that all xjw's in the US can join in.

Has the WTS not violated our civil rights, taken away our right to choose, without bias, how to live our lives? Were not our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness violated? Obviously they were.

We could start by looking for legal precedance: another lawsuit that is in some way similar. We could work with the ACLU, possbilbly.

Thoughts?

XJW User Submitted News & Views at http://xjwnews.com

• FormerOne
    FormerOne

But isn't what the WTS does considered "freedom of religion"? If so, I'm not sure civil rights have been violated. After all, the Catholic church has excommunicated people for years and I've never heard of anybody suing them. It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's got any precendent to help.

• mikepence
    mikepence

Of course, there is freedom of religion. But, the WTS clearly abuses that freedom in many ways. There need not be any laws broken for lawsuit to be warranted.

XJW User Submitted News & Views at http://xjwnews.com

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Religions have a lot of latitude when it comes to what they want to practice. The US constitution provides for freedom of religion and courts are very reluctant to get involved.

On a personal level I am with you. If you can find precedent then go for it. It would likely take lots of money to get highly competent attorney to take the case, unless the ACLU became interested. Can you make this issue “politically correct” somehow? Remember, the WTS gets its lawyers for free.

Good luck!

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• alamb
    alamb

MP
    Please e-mail me privately.

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
    -- Albert Einstein

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy,

I'm not sure where - but this has been discussed. When we got baptized, we signed on the dotted line. We agreed, and if they changed their laws, well.....it's the same predicament that others find when they join a group - none stay the same forever. I believe this has been brought out in a lawsuit judgement.

As for growing up in the organization? Again, adults have responsibility over kids - and then the kids get baptized. Are they grown ups? No. But they aren't a huge group either.

As for df'd? It's been challenged - and lost, so far.
    As for da'd? Technically, the person does it to himself by his actions - technically.

As for shunning? They call it a religious action - and is practiced by several different groups, such as the Almish. It's been challenged also - and lost, so far.

The other point is that the WTBTS has a mess of lawyers. They have been known to wait out their opponents. Their lawyers get paid next to nothing. A class action suit has to be worth mega bucks to get an attorney's attention.

Rather crappy situation, isn't it?

waiting

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Mike,

These cases have been fought before and easily lost.

You must remember that while the WTS is huge to us, it is just one among a large number of religious and political groups whose members may feel justified in claiming the same case against their leaders.

The Courts will not start something that they cannot contain and a legal precedent set with the JW's would have to be applied across a huge and uncontrollable arena.

Best regards - HS

• BobsGirl
    BobsGirl

I wish there were a way that this could work. Especially when it comes to the kids being coerced into baptism..... I feel that this is a violation of their constitutional right to freedom of religion .... but then who am I ....

BobsGirl

"May the work of your hands be a sign of gratitude and reverence to the human condition." - Mahatma Gandhi

• BobsGirl
    BobsGirl

If you ever do find a lawyer who is willing to take the case .... COUNT ME IN!!!

BobsGirl

"May the work of your hands be a sign of gratitude and reverence to the human condition." - Mahatma Gandhi

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Actually I feel that the political and religious climate is so much different than it has been in the past. There are a lot of people who are wanting some government protection from the deceptive practices of cults.

There are a few angles where I feel the WS could be vulnerable. (I have no legal experience or expertise. This is merely my opinions.)

One Example) Children like myself did not really have a choice about what religion they wanted to be. I remember when I was growing up in the late 70's and early 80's it didn't matter if you got babtised or not. If you were caught in wrongdoing or went to a different religion, you lost your family. Now doesn't that sound like a human rights violation? It's true that the parents and other family members make a personal decision to shun, but then they don't REALLY have a choice. This invasion and division of the family ties is something that makes normal people cringe and get angry. Even if this is a fight that couldn't be won, the publicity could possibly help many others see the light before it's too late.

Another possible angle) I know this has been tested quite a while back but it did have limited sucess. The society has throughout the years used subversive language in regards to the political powers. They have toned it down lately but it still exists. In this time of patriotic fervor it could be a hot topic for the courts.

What do you think?

TimB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit