I don't get it

by noontide 11 Replies latest jw friends

• noontide
    noontide

I don’t get it.

I find myself saying this about certain people, items or situations that seem to be popular with most people. Am missing something? I think I have an open mind, but some things I just don’t get. Below are some of my “I don’t get it” moments. Do you have any?

Actress: Nicole Kidman – Stiff acting and bland line delivery. Pretty, but not the gorgeous woman people make her out to be. Why do people think she is so great? I don’t get it.

Movies: All 3 Spiderman movies – They are ok, but not great. I love action, superhero, and sci-fi movies, but I can’t get into Spiderman. I think it’s because when Spiderman swings from the buildings he looks too cartoonish or video-gamish, not “solid” enough (if that makes any sense). I don’t get it when people say Spiderman is the best comic book movie ever made. Really!? Sorry, don’t get it.

Food: Sushi – Some of the presentations look great, but my mind can’t get past the fact that it’s raw fish. I’ve tried to like it but to no avail. The California rolls are about as adventurous as I get. Here in the Southern California area, Sushi is very popular. When I mention I don’t like it, people look at me like I’m a freak. Sushi, I don’t get it.

Literature: Shakespeare – Overrated, boring, and often mentioned as a favorite writer just to prove how smart the person is. I’ve read quite a bit of his material, but find it just bland and boring. I realize that I’m no Shakespeare, nor do I want to be. I don’t get the reverence for Shakespeare.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I agree with you on the sushi, but I don't watch action or sci-fi movies, and I'm not so crazy about Nicole Kidman, and this made me laugh: Literature: Shakespeare – Overrated, boring, and often mentioned as a favorite writer just to prove how smart the person is.

I've often thought the same thing.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    Literature: Shakespeare – Overrated, boring, and often mentioned as a favorite writer just to prove how smart the person is. I’ve read quite a bit of his material, but find it just bland and boring. I realize that I’m no Shakespeare, nor do I want to be. I don’t get the reverence for Shakespeare.

I agree with you on the Nicole thing, but Shakespeare is a classic. His sonnets, his plays convey alot of the human condition so aptly, not to mention that he inspired many other authors, poets, screenplay writers after him. IMHO

When I consider every thing that grows
    Holds in perfection but a little moment,
    That this huge stage presenteth nought but shows
    Whereon the stars in secret influence comment;
    When I perceive that men as plants increase,
    Cheered and checked even by the self-same sky,
    Vaunt in their youthful sap, at height decrease,
    And wear their brave state out of memory;
    Then the conceit of this inconstant stay
    Sets you most rich in youth before my sight,
    Where wasteful Time debateth with decay
    To change your day of youth to sullied night,
    And all in war with Time for love of you,
    As he takes from you, I engraft you new.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I agree w you on spiderman. He's a loser. He's on his way to see his girlfriend perform opera or something. He gets distracted by police sirens and shows up after she's all done and still waiting for him. He has a serious attention/focus problem, deserves to be shat on.

S

• Casper
    Casper

Personally,

I like Nicole Kidman, granted she's not the most talented actress or the best looking, but there is an air about her of some sort. I especially liked her in "Cold Mountain".

I have no idea what the fuss is about concerning "Spider man"... doesn't do a thing for me.

The thought of eating Sushi....gags me...

As for Shakespeare... I haven't read much of it, what little I have, I found hard to understand.

I understand what you are saying tho.

Cas

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Nicole Kidman: It is understood by many in the industry that many of her roles were part of a deal for being a "beard" for Tom Cruise.

Spiderman: Great. What's wrong with you?

Sushi: Is not just raw fish. "Sushi is the dish, not the just the fish." Raw doesn't equal bad. Just different.

Literature: Some of it is pretentious garbage.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'm on board with 3 of the 4 things that noontide mentioned. I think Spidey is a good comic book hero. But Kidman is totally overrated in terms of looks, I don't get most of the supposedly great works of literature either, and Sushi turns me off. ---------------I'll add the following as my "I don't get it"'s: - Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd - yes, I owned the album and I own the CD. This is widely regarded as a great album. Besides the song Money, I can't see why. ---------------------- Art...whether it's paintings, sculptures or whatever, I don't get why Art is so highly regarded and so expensive --------------- Jesus...he's supposedly carries all the redeeming virtues that the God of the OT seems to lack. But I never really found him any more endearing than Jehovah/Yahweh. I can respect him and admire him perhaps, but I feel no "closer" to him than to Jehovah (sorry, this was probably meant to be a non-religious discussion).

• noontide
    noontide

Ok Sweetstuff, I actually liked (and understood) the sonnet. Great, you torpedoed my “I don’t get it!” Might have to give Shakespeare another go. Sound like you know your stuff, you might have to be my consultant on Shakespeare!

Octarine, you asked “ What's wrong with you?” A lot, my friend, a lot. Or nothing, depends on whom you ask. :-)

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Shakespeare is so ubiquitous there is a tendency to take his work for granted. It is like being unimpressed with a tadpole squirming about in the primordial soup a a billion years ago.

If his work seems cliched or hackneyed it is only because it has been imitated so much.

Sushi- YUM! I tell ya what, if there is an animal out there I can't eat, I haven't met it and eaten it yet. I don't like all sushi... octopus doesn't really do anything for me. Tuna and yellowtail are the best.

Spiderman- I've been told I look like Tobey Maguire. Personally I take that as an insult.

Kidman- Always liked her, but I see so few movies, I think I've only seen her in Cold Mountain, Moulin Rouge, and one of the crappy Batmans (Batmen?).

• beksbks
    beksbks

I agree with you on Kidman, Spiderman, and Sushi. Sushi is just boring to me. Of course if you throw wasabi on all of it, it's tasty, but who cares?

Shakespeare for me is like a little puzzle box with a wonderful prize inside.

Dark Side of the Moon??!!! Fantabulous!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit