Some things that annoy me about the WTS

by Leander 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

The last International Assembly I attended was an attempt to regain my spirituality. I tried real hard to make it work. However, the timing was bad to begin with. It was in early December and a lot of the brothers had trouble getting time off to attend. I looked around the assemby grounds at the young families, who were clarly struggling financially. It really upset me seeing these poor folk struggle to find food and keep their little-uns clean, dry and comfortable. On the scale of things they were ok I guess, but to me they looked like they needed a financial infusion and some joy in their lives. They weren't going to get it at the convention. The seating was awful and the sound was even worse. It was probably a blessing that we couldn't hear much - coz what did bellow thru was just more of the same old, same old.

That International convention seal it for me. I'd had enough!

Marilyn

• its_my_life2001ca
    its_my_life2001ca

I found pioneering to be stressful although if anyone ever asked me my opinion, I always said it was the way to go. Never wanted to get caught complaining. Being single and having no responsibilties, it was understood that this was our duty. Service all day and cleaning all night tooks it's toll after 13 yrs. By the end of the month, I was almost crying because I just couldn't keep up, working away til the last hour knowing the next day it started all over again. I felt like a rat trapped on a treadmill, moving but going nowhere. When I finally stopped pioneering, I felt such a failure and guilty that I had lived up to my committment. Being in the truth was so hard, feeling like a second rate christian. Now that I'm out, I can worship God with a lighter heart and have more joy. No more man made burdens. Life is refreshing now like cool clean air of spring. I feel like I've been reborn. I will never give up my christian freedom again to anyone.

• DB
    DB

This may be my all-time fave post. Every comment made here hits the mark dead on. I've thought through all of these issues at one time or another. Thanks to Leander for raising these points, and to all those who commented.

• minimus
    minimus

Leander, I have saved this since you originally posted it.I have had most of the same questions.Your newest ones are very interesting.

• minimus
    minimus

This thread was one of the ones that can make you think about the "organization". It's worth looking at, again.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Hi leander,

Great post.

"Recently as in the last few years I've been paying more attention to the various members in the congregation and I've observed some interesting things. Quite a few people have problems with meeting attendance, with the exception of a few individuals it appears that many members of the congregation are struggling to make it to all of the meetings. Now that I'm older and have a family of my own it really seems unfair to me that so much pressure is put upon the congregation to make 3 meetings week and field service. I look at some of the people as they come to the Kingdom Hall and I can see the exhaustion in their faces. I've noticed that even some of the elders and servants are struggling to make it to the Hall."

My father is also a MS. I see it in his face, he is absolutly exhausted. It hurts me to him soooo tired and worn out.

I also see how the WTS discourages different kinds of music.For instance the April 8th awake has an article on drug abuse. On the inside of the cover they show "raver" and has 2 pills in her hand and she is putting a 3rd on in her mouth. It really irrritates me how the WTS is so stereotypical. Techno music = raves, raves = drugs. Or rap= baggy clothes, gangs = bagging clothes,bagy clothes = immoral.

What it comes down to is that the WTS does not want you decide whats good for you. They think your to incompentent to make your decesions. Thus they have to make them for you.

• sandy
    sandy

Leander, great points. At the meetings we always hear comments about how the religious pharisees put burdens on the people and then they apply the sciptures to certain religions today.

What a joke! JWs are one of the most strict religions around. Needless burdens like all the ones you mentioned.

Neomadman, you made some very interesting comments too. Thanks for the great info and informative opinions.

You also said:

A few years before I left the organization (which would place this incident in the early 90's), a sister was going around the congregation saying that we shouldn't do the Twist, because she had found a 30-year-old WT article condemning the dance, and of course, Jehovah's standards do not change

I knew an elderly sister who said the very same thing in my hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit