Some things that annoy me about the WTS

by Leander 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

I'm still currently a JW myself and I'm serving as a Minsterial Servant in a limited capacity. (a few weeks ago I was vocal about the doubts I've had and the elders made the decision to allow me to stay on as a MS but without giving talks)

1. Recently as in the last few years I've been paying more attention to the various members in the congregation and I've observed some interesting things. Quite a few people have problems with meeting attendance, with the exception of a few individuals it appears that many members of the congregation are struggling to make it to all of the meetings. Now that I'm older and have a family of my own it really seems unfair to me that so much pressure is put upon the congregation to make 3 meetings week and field service. I look at some of the people as they come to the Kingdom Hall and I can see the exhaustion in their faces. I've noticed that even some of the elders and servants are struggling to make it to the Hall.

It really seems unloving in my opinion to browbeat the congregation about meeting attendance when the majority of the people are tired out from working secular jobs all week and caring for household chores as well as attending to their families. This is all in addition to having to conduct a family study, personal study, keeping up with the latest copies of the Watchtower and Awake, daily bible reading, daily text reading and several hours of field service within the week.

2. Another issue that I have is that of field service time. There is a constant theme of doing more in the ministry: Do you have the pioneer spirit? Are you keeping up with or exceeding the national average for field service time? Can you increase your hours in the ministry? It really annoys me to hear these talks over and over again to push people into field service. It seems to me that there is more emphasis being placed on putting in high hours than anything else. What if I only turn in 5 hours a month but I'm helping several people learn about the bible? Does that make my time less valid that a person with 60 hours of service who is unable to help or talk to anyone?

Another thought about field service is the reporting of time. Why is there even a need to submit how much time you spend preaching? It is'nt up to a congregation or to the WTS to determine how much time a person needs to spend preaching. I'm not sure when this practice got started but it does'nt even seem bibical and it surely should'nt be a means to judge how spritual a person might be.

3. Various rules and restrictions: Its amazing how many rules and regulations that are in place that have no bibical signficance. For example rated R movies, the WTS are constantly issuing the warning that witnesses should'nt watch rate R movies. But in reality this should be a matter of conscience, but the WTS attempts to enforce this view on JWs even with the threat of being counseled and put on scriptural reproof.

Oral sex is another area where the WTS has felt the need to put restrictions on. Again this should be a matter of conscience or personal preference between a husband and wife. But just like with the movies a couple can be severely counseled and even disfellowshipped if they are known to practice oral sex.

Rap and certain rock music is still another issue where the society has put limitations on. Instead of allowing the individual to use their own discretion of what might be acceptable and un-acceptable in these areas of music the WTS has made a blanket statement saying that all rap music and certain types of rock music are bad. Whether this is the case or not, because the WTS has labeled it bad witnesses are not allowed to listen to this type of music.

4. Personal grooming is even severely limited. Men are not allowed to wear beards or anything outside of short hair styles. How the WTS came up with this I have no idea. I fail to see how a man can be identified as being spiritual or not in regards to how he wears his facial hair. As long as a person is clean and presentable there should'nt be any issue with their appearance. Some of the women have been made special targets based upon their physical dimensions. Some female witnesses may be accused of dressing inapppropiately no matter what they wear because of their physiques. But again if a person is clean and presentable then there should'nt be any problem with what they are wearing.

A few other things that I wonder about:

The celebration of birthdays and Thanksgiving. There are no pagan origins involved in these celebrations but if it becomes known that a person celebrates these then they will be admonished or disciplined.

Conventions and assemblies: I've reached the point in my life where it literally drives me insane to have to sit for hours listening to the same information that I heard in the last week or 2. Apparently I'm not the only who feels like this based upon the many elders, servants and other congregation members I see standing around in the lobbies talking about any and everything.

Perhaps one of the biggest issues is the use of the scripture at Proverbs 4:18. (the light keeps getting brighter) I've read that entire chapter and I fail to see how it applies to changes in doctrines in teaching. Its interesting to note that the apostles never used that scripture when they had their misunderstandings of the bible.

Just rereading what I wrote is making me even more annoyed. I better stop now before I totally lose my cool.

• Klaus Vollmer
    Klaus Vollmer

hello leander
    your points are very clear and I agree your information.
    it is funny but the GB has invented his "LIGHTMACHINE" which allows them to move and change doctrines as soon as they are opportune.
    I think that neither Jehovah nor Christ will be in agreement with this practice at it seems like the practice from the pharisees in the early days where Jesus said that they have taken place on Moses chair.
    I am fed up too when I recognize that they waste their dear time in preaching while nobody is interested in magazines that not motivate by people who have no drive because they are kicked to do some hours.
    the quality sinks, the quantity is multiplying - more helping pioneers but less result than the less hp's before.
    I have more and more the feeling that there in Brooklyn some concrete heads are busy to find a plan that someone is the last one who switches off the light.
    the Janus-Face of WTS is not to be hidden.
    Keep your faith in Jehovah and in his son - all other things will be put straight by HIM

• outnfree
    outnfree

Leander,

You sound just like me a little over a year ago!

Only I added to that disgust with the change in the 'generation' teaching, the move to a more mainstream view of Christ's second coming (vs. the parousia), and an appreciation of just how much of a top-down hierarchy there was and the incredible parallel with how the average JW views visiting COs, DOs, Branch and Bethel reps and the GB and how the average Roman Catholic views visiting Priests, Bishops, Archbishops, Cardinals and the Holy Father(Pope)!
    The excitement and expection on the part of the membership is great and people fall over themselves to share a piece of the [ahem! humble one's] 'light'.

I think you'd better watch out, or you, too, may soon be signing yourself

outnfree

When the truth is found to be lies
    and all the joy within you dies ...
    -- Darby Slick, Somebody to Love

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Leander,

This is a good thread. Lots to think about. I'm a 'walk-away,' inactive JW in the last 8months. I figured I've gained about 17 hours a week back. That doesn't include the assemblies and conventions. And I was just a publisher.

Since I work full-time and have a few health problems that keep me home often, that 17 hours is quite a help to relieve burdens.

IMO, the scripture about putting heavy burdens on men, but not lifting a finger to help has some application to the schedule JWs are expected, and pressured, to keep.

Have a great Tuesday!
    Pat

• Xena
    Xena

I feel your pain Leander!!!!

You know what really bugged me about the conventions..the fact we couldn't stay where ever the hell we wanted to...like the rates they got at the hotels were that great! Lol couple of times we stayed over an extra day and had to pay the "normal" rate..it was usually within $5.00 - $10.00 (if there was even a difference) of the "special" JW rate....wwwooohooo big savings! None of the nice hotels we wanted to stay in were on their damn list! Our last convention we stayed at the hotel we WANTED to stay at..lol we caught so much flack for that!!!

• Leander
    Leander

Klause - I've often wondered if the reason behind this intensive preaching is because the WTS is trying to force a prophecy into fulfillment. Matt 24:14 - "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations and then the end will come."

I agree with you about the WTS being like the Pharisees, to be a witness is to have a burden being thrust about you. I'd like to know if the governing body practices what it preaches.

Outnfree - I have very grave concerns about the WTS views on the end of this system. First it was taught the end was coming in 1874, 1914, the 1920's then maybe after 1975 and then it was quietly thought to be before the end of the century. Now its been changed again with the reworking of the generation explanation. For a group of men who are supposed to be God's communication channel there have been numerous mistakes. Personally I can deal with the WTS making mistakes, after all they are only human. But the problem I have is that the only reason they know they have made mistakes is because their predictions/insight has proven to be false after the fact. If they are truly being guided by God then they should have realized their errors in advance.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

All those things are indeed burdensome and therefore unchristian. Also quite rediculous. However, the orgs perverted teaching on God's view of blood kills people. Dead. Now.

As Sinead Occonor said -- fight the real enemy.

• Leander
    Leander

Xena - Excellent observation, thats a really good example of how they are going way beyond bibical teachings. Its not right to try and force a people to do only what a group of men have decided upon. Its also apparent that this same type of mentality has been passed down to the elders. They attempt to force others to bend to their personal opinions and feelings. One example of this is an elder in my congregation, he counseled a brother for dressing his 4 month old girl in pants instead of a dress while attending the book study. But what makes this so sad is that this is not an isolated case, all through-out the organization similar things are happening. Its no wonder so many people feel the need to leave the WTS.

• Farkel
    Farkel

leander,

: Men are not allowed to wear beards or anything outside of short hair styles. How the WTS came up with this I have no idea.

I do. After he seized control of the WTS Joseph ("Grudge") Rutherford became very jealous that Chuck Russell was still much admired by the Bible Students. Men wore beards in the same length and style as Russell in order to emulate him. One of the many things Rutherford did to remove the memory of Russell from his followers was to ban beards in the Bethels and place not-so-subtle "grooming suggestions" in his rags. Dubs got the message. Over thirty years ago I wanted to grow a small moustache. I was told that if I did, I would have all my privileges removed.

The short of it is, beards were made unacceptable because Rutherford hated Russell taking any attention away from himself. That rule has virtually nothing to do with "Christian appearance" and everything to do with one man's gigantic ego.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Leander
    Leander

Farkel - Thats amazing, but yet it does'nt surprise me. I've always known that there was no scriptural significance in their practice of not wearing beards, but now that I know the reason it really infuriates me.

Beleive it or not I've been counseled at one congregation for giving a talk wearing a blazer that did'nt match my slacks. It was'nt that I was wearing loud colors, I could understand their concern if I was wearing green and red. As it was I was very tastefully attired but the elders at that congregation felt that christian brothers should only wear suits while giving talks. Even now I'm shaking my head that such trivial matters are enforced on people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit