Defending others

by JK666 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• JK666
    JK666

Hey everybody,

I have tried in the past to defend others when I thought they were being abused.

Case 1: A gay poster was banned, and I lobbied to get him reinstated to this board. Eventually, he was able to come back on. But I received restrictions for doing this.

Case 2: A woman felt abused by another poster on this board. She would boo-hoo over the phone to me almost every night, and then run back to this person. When I stuck up for her on this board, a lobbying campaign started against me, spearheaded by the person that she was complaining about. She of course stabbed me in the back, as well as the gay man that I had lobbied for in the past. And of course, in that battle, I was restricted again, and the bad guy got off Scott free.

Do you think that I will stick my neck out again????

Fat chance - fight your own battles!

JK

• Simon
    Simon

We've had umpteen cases in the past where people claimed abuse, that they received threatening PMs etc ... and basically bad-mouthed someone they didn't like or had disagreed with online.

Of course, a lynch mob of eedjits who believe everything they read is quickly formed and people are rallying round, demanding we delete "the horrible man" (or whoever).

When investigated though it frequently turns out that the situation is completely reversed - the one making all the noise is the one that has been sending threatending or abusive messages and then tries to ruin someone elses reputation or run them off the forum.

In extreme cases we've had someone follow a poster here and try to do what they have done on many other sites, cyber-stalking (and the poster had a restraining order against them).

The moral of the story?

Never get too involved with people and never believe everything you read.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I try to read all the posts on a subject and all subsequent and multiple threads to get a balanced viewpoint of what's going on. That's one reason I am not a fan of people continuing what started as public disagreements of a topic into private pm's. I've noticed time and time again, that when arguments get heated, then the sneak personal attacks by pm really get going. I admire posters who at least have the gumption to say what they really think of someone in public and not behind their back. If it isn't fit for public consumption than maybe it is best left unsaid altogether.

I understand the locking of threads that get out of control. Sometimes, I don't think deleting them altogether is a good idea. I think this may actually add fuel to the fire by leaving a very one sided version of what has taken place for the masses to see. For example, latecomers may come, read what seems a rather tame thread (because most inflammatory and/or offensive remarks have been removed) and wonder why so many posters have been suspended or deleted. Then they get all up in arms, defending them because they didn't see the original insults, profanity and threats.

As adults we should think before we post and be responsible for our words. I say this while admitting that I have also posted remarks in haste that I have later regretted. A couple of times I have wanted to go back and delete posts but it was after the half hour time limit for editing. Oh well, that's the price I pay, post in haste, repent at leisure.

Perhaps if threads that become locked are allowed to remain for all posterity to see, it would actually reduce the number of other posters who feel compelled to chime in and defend when they don't really know the whole story. Let people's own words try, convict and execute them in the court of public opinion.

Threatening people or their families by public post or pm is so out of line and not cool (not to mention a crime). I have often said that if anyone sent me such a pm, I would have no problems cutting and pasting it to the public forum. Hang them by their own pertard! Wouldn't it be better to allow the damning words to stay for all to see, sort of like the wall of shame. Then maybe people would think twice before clicking the "submit post" button.

Cog

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

no good deed goes unpunished

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

It's tough enough to really know people you see in person every day.

How could you ever know if you are in the right and stand up for someone on something like an internet board?

You can't.

Stick up for yourself...that's the only person you can speak for...and I'm iffy on me most of the time.

WLG

• DJ_Q
    DJ_Q

JK666,

dont stop defending people you feel need some back up. It takes a pair of nuts to stand up to a mob.

I like the fact that, from what I have seen to this point, that you speak your mind. Dont quit doing this because some people dont appreciate your support. What are they going to do to you, reach over the internet and choke you or something.

Stay true.

DJ_Q

• *summer*
    *summer*

Simon says..."Never get too involved with people and never believe everything you read" And to me, it is the best perspective.

JK666, you are a good person. Obviously always willing to help those in trouble. But being difficult enough to accomplish in real life, it becomes even more touchy in cyberspace.

Do not allow a forum to change the soul that you have become. Continue to be the good and compassionate person that you are. But do it from the goodness of your heart only. Without expectations or attachment to the outcome. If things turn sour, you have at least your own satisfaction of having done the right thing at the right time. And life goes on...

Do not try to carry everybody's luggage...do not take anything heavier than their carry-on:-)

Have a nice day:-)

• Satanus
    Satanus

I have found that sticking up for other people to be a poor policy, because they often seem to be attracting whatever shit they are getting. By attempting to block that shit, i just get entangled in pulled into their mess. Not every case is like that, of course. If taking crap for others is your thing, then carry on doing it. Perhaps, some people that this kind of thing are codependent, looking for/needing approval.

S

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I find to keep friendships sometimes its best to let them battle things out themselves. I trust that my friends are intelligent enough to figure things out...eventually.

Sometimes I just need to lend a listening ear, try not to project my thoughts and opinions on to them. I certainly would not want to add drama to their life, given they are already in a delicate situation.

I keep my friends through thick and thin, I may go long periods of time without much interaction, but they are my friend forever.

How many times have we heard on the news, someone is drowning and another goes to rescue them, only to drown themselves.

Rescuers sometimes end up victims themselves.

If I do defend someone, I do it unconditionally, It fills my needs ...........and I would not expect anything in return. True defense is a gift.

purps

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Defending a principle is dicey enough. Defending an individual is way moreso. Most posters here can, or should, be able to defend themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit