What convinced u"paradise earth" was ridiculous?

by chuckyy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• chuckyy
    chuckyy

What was the one line of thought that convinced you that a paradise earth was a ridiculous notion???

Chukyy

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

"paradise earth" does not appear in the Bible. How's that?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Erosion.

Yes, erosion, "the process by which the surface of the earth is worn away by the action of water, glaciers, winds, waves, etc." (dictionary.com). I had studied the process and effects of erosion in school and occasionally seen it on the news or documentary where a house that was once tens of feet from the edge of a cliff collapsed as the cliff was gradually worn away over decades or centuries. It occurred to me that such erosion was inevitable given the nature of the planet we live on, and that this would not change even if humans were perfect. So unless Jehovah put a forcefield around cliffs and mountains and coastlines to stop them being eroded, eventually all the land on earth would disappear. From there it's a short step to realising that everything on earth and indeed the universe will come to an end. Friction will slow down the rotation of the earth, the sun will run out of fuel until there is nothing left. Sure, the omnipotent Jehovah could step in and artificially hold things together, but then, why didn't he just do it right in the first place?

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think that the hydrogen-helium cycle which powers the sun should pretty much tell any thinking person that these physical things are not eternal. The sun has lasted, and will continue to last, for a long time, but not forever.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

The plastic beach balls...

......and the thought I being there with my JW mom forever. That would be hell on earth!!

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

I still am torn between believing and not. I dont know what to think. My head has been too messed up by these people to know if heaven or earth or NOTHING is where i'll reside....

• Gopher
    Gopher

Procreation would have to stop once the earth reached maximum capacity. This would alter or put an end to normal adult human relationships.

Unless...the "paradise" could be extended to other earth-like planets to be populated. But at that point people would be living in paradise not on earth but on planets light-years apart. That would go beyond 'paradise earth' and be 'paradise universe'. If I were to be Christian, I'd think the idea of going to heaven would be much simpler and more logical.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

I always wondered what would prevent someone from getting their head chopped off in an accident Would Jehoober protect everyone at all times from tremendous horrific accidents? Would the headless body sprout a new head? Enquiring minds want to know To me that made the concept of a perfect earth with 'perfect people' seem completely silly.

BW

• nelly136
    nelly136

the thought of being isolated with nothing but jws for company for all eternity was far more scarier than the thought of living a normal lifespan and dying.

coming back as a neuter for all eternity didnt have much apeal either

• sacolton
    sacolton

2 Peter 3:10

But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief. On that day the heavens will disappear with a roaring sound, the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done on it will be exposed. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, think of the kind of holy and godly people you ought to be as you look forward to and hasten the coming of the day of God, when the heavens will be set ablaze and dissolved and the elements will melt with fire. But in keeping with his promise, we are looking forward to new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness is at home.

God is going to purify the earth with fire. Nothing will survive. Every element will melt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit