Book Club, August 08, 1984 by George Orwell

by TheSilence 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• White Dove
    White Dove

I want to read 1984. You make it sound tantelizing

It is so clear that the WTS sounds just like this book.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    I want to read 1984.

Please share your thoughts once you do (or even before you do if you just want to comment, don't let me dissuade you ), I would enjoy hearing them.

Jackie

• Lady Zombie
  • White Dove
    White Dove

Well, you mentioned that it has war masquerading as peace.

The WTS is war-like but says it is totally peaceful.

Just try going against it, though.

They kill by df'ing anyone that speaks against it.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Well, you mentioned that it has war masquerading as peace.

The WTS is war-like but says it is totally peaceful.

Just try going against it, though.

They kill by df'ing anyone that speaks against it.

In that vein, The Book says, "The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with war, the Ministry of Truth with lies, the Ministry of Love with torture, and the Ministry of Plenty with starvation. These contradictions are not accidental, nor do they result from ordinary hypocrisy: they are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Where do you think the society stands in this regard? Are their contradictions accidental, ordinary hypocrisy, or deliberate exercises in "doublethink"?

As you haven't, yet, read the book, this quote may help illuminate it's concept of "doublethink":

The key word here is black-white. Like so many Newspeak words, this word has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently dlaiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contraray. This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink.

Or a shorter quote, "Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them."

Jackie

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

I hope that such a story doesn't manifest in our reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit