For those with a personal relationship to God....How did you get there?

by digderidoo 24 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Fall in love with HIM..

Koneal

Well said, and welcome to JWD, Koneal.

Paul, if you keep searching, He will allow Himself to be found.

He's not far off from each one of us.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Was it gradual or sudden? It was a sudden realization that I could have a real relationship with my Creator without any human filters.

Was there a confusion between witness doctrine and your new faith? The FDS doctrine stood in the way, so I kicked it to the curb, or in my case, into the ditch.

Do the two get in the way of each other? Imo, JW doctrine and Christian doctrine are mutually exclusive.

Or do the two compliment each other? See above answer. No way does JW doctrine complement Christian doctrine. No way!!!

Basically, how did you get there? By prayer, supplication, and totally surrendering my will to that of the Messiah.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Thanks for sharing Texman.

BTS

• White Dove
    White Dove

Meditation works wonders in tapping into the divine.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Yes, White Dove, yes.

I have meditated on nature, for example, and it opened up many things to me.

• JK666
    JK666

dig,

I am glad you found that XJW AA'er.

The longer I am out, the more agnostic/atheist I have become. No one in AA around here can relate, and I feel a bit isolated.

Good luck,

JK

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

What i was wondering is how did this happen?

Pointedly ignoring what anyone else had to say about a higher power. A decision to disbelieve all doctrine and organized religion.

Starting with a blank slate, learning to clear questions and "figuring it out" and chatter in the mind.

Once I had the ability to have a clear mind - to "not think" and strive after understanding, I went to the woods. I meditated there, with an open mind, focusing awareness on the experience of existing in nature.

Feelings became apparent to me, feelings of being a part of something larger, and feeling connected to this something larger. Not an intellectual ideal, not a mission, not a belief - an experience. I return to that experience when my mind struggles too hard after phantoms.

I have been contemplating the meaning of these experiences now for nearly 20 years. Meaning is seperate from the experience, and limits the experience - by labeling and dissecting, the experience gets somehwat diluted and lost. The experience may not be expressible in words, not completely, and may have many valid meanings.

The experience feels nurturing and healing. This experience may be completely within me. When I feel it, I am put into the frame of mind that there is something greater than me, a "higher power", that I am connected to, a part of.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    The longer I am out, the more agnostic/atheist I have become. No one in AA around here can relate, and I feel a bit isolated

Jk...just remember an atheist believes there is no higher power -god. To beleive in nothing you would be a nihlist.

In a way you relate to those who 'believe' way more than they dont "relate" to you. If you know what I mean. Your higher power- is yourself.

Jeff

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

There is lots of good info here.

For me i guess i am in a bit of a spiritual wilderness. I know there is a spiritual side to me that i want to explore, but don't know which way to turn. In rejecting religion, i guess i threw everything out, God, spirituality and all. Now that i have seperated the JW doctrine away from God it feels empowering.

Jamiebowers...I feel like you in that i do not need to go to church or a place of worship.

Elivelith....thanks for your post, but for me in praying to Jesus i do not know whether this sits comfortable with me at this present time.

Sacolten....i agree with you that it doesn't happen overnight.

Texman....thanks for your story, it really is touching.

Snowbird....Your comments have helped, your posts always do.

BTS.....Texmans comments was a good share.

A&G.....Thanks, i think the 587 thing for me is going to be one of those subjects i will always be learning about.

Koneal....Welcome to the board! For me i do not know whether it is the God of the bible, that i am looking for yet. Thanks for your kind words.

White Dove.....good point, i have considered meditation.

Octraine Prince....i can see what you're saying about nature. It kind of makes me feel insignificant.

JK666....i know where you are coming from, no one seems to understand me in AA, when i bring up the God issue. Many do not see my dilemma. It is good that there is another ex jw there, but whether his way will help only time will tell. But it is good to know that i am not on my own with it.

Voideater....I like you are starting with a blank slate. it has taken time to get rid of those doctrines taught, but it was well worth the effort.

Hillbilly....good point.

I know i would feel better looking at that spiritual side to me, instead of ignoring it like i have all these years.

Paul

• Carmel
    Carmel

Spiritual Wilderness... a good metaphor for wanting to be connected but not knowing what socket has the power that will match your extension cord. There are many paths to attaining knowledge of the metaphysical. Many refuse to take any road prefering to believe the destination doesn't exist. I can only relate my own journey which lasted nearly 19 years from the time I left the Borg. Lots of blind alleys and false starts along the way including the simple " Just ask Jesus to come into your life" solution. It never worked for me to allow emotion to take over and rule the intellect. I had to have defensible beliefs, supported by credible utilitarian results before taking any action that would kick in the emotive juices. I was convinced for years no religion out there could meet that standard, yet here I am, many years later a "true beleiver" but with my antanee out! I suggest you sit down and make a list of what a religion would have to be on all levels then begin an honest search. Let your head dictate before you allow your "feelings" free reign. PM me if you have questions. carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit