Your thoughts on Wicca?

by Texman55 24 Replies latest jw friends

• whitman
    whitman

I know a bit about it. From what I understand there are a few people here who walk in the way of the goddess so I do hope that my thoughts do not offend.

I find it difficult to accept something which has been, as someone else put it, 'made up'. I understand that wicca and wicca related practices have been around for thousands of years. However, there is no actual lineage from the ancients to the modern subscribers. There is no textual transmission, there is no line of direct communication through the ages.

I would love to have a go at a re-enactment of Greek rituals for the purposes of research, but I know that a re-enactment is all that is possible. We could go through the exact rituals, say exactly the same words etc, but that doesn't mean that it is a Greek ritual. It can only ever be re-enactment, and in the case of Greek ritual - we have a lot of ancient sources upon which such a re-creation could be based. With Wicca we simply do not.

In the end, it has to be a question of each to their own, as long as the 'each' of the 'own' is respectful and considerate of others.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Once upon a time I held the belief that they were evil and satanic. Now I don't.

I met this wonderful lady and her family online while attending online college classes. We were project buddies and we helped each other thru the worst of times. She is Wiccan and has the biggest heart, most giving nature, and is sweeter than anyone I know. Her hubby is Wiccan and she is raising her baby Wiccan.

If the Jehovah's Witnesses would treat their own members as well as she treats people I might have stayed.....

• White Dove
    White Dove

Crazyblondedeb said it well.

"An (if) it harm none, do as ye will."

I am a better person because of Wicca.

There is no evil intent in it.

If I harm anyone or anything in nature, the concequences I'd experience would be much worse.

I must take 100% responsibility for my actions and reactions.

We are the first to care for the earth and her animal children.

Our rituals are only full of introspection and meditation and goal setting.

It's very healthy all around.

We don't believe in the devil or demons.

There are no scape goats to take the blame for our actions.

We focus on the positive things in life and all the beauty that surrounds us.

We actively ward off negativity.

It runs parallel with Native American religions.

Do your homework and find out about us. You'll be pleasantly suprised.

• White Dove
    White Dove

A note on the special garb we wear: How much of a JW did you feel like in your meeting clothes?

Wiccans feel more focused and ready for the business of spirituality in our robes.

Clothing puts people in a frame of mind for the occasion.

It's only weird because you are not used to it.

When I wear my robe, I feel ready to work.

I think they look cool, too.

Most of us make our own. Yes, Wiccans can sew!

• White Dove
    White Dove

A bunch of nutters?

I think it's nutters to believe that a teenaged girl got pregnant without a man.

Now, that's nuts!

I think it's nutters to believe in the rapture.

So, some believe that a spirit will come and cause them to physically float up into the air to meet a higher power and a bunch of entities. Everyone on earth will be able to see this.

That's nuts. It hasn't happened and probably never will.

A donkey talked! No, it didn't. The guy was obviously on something or mentally ill, or the story's fake.

A simple rewording of Christian beliefs will make them sound crazy.

We practice rituals as metaphores to explain nature and our place in it.

Christians practice their religion as literal. Not a few people were raised from the dead in the Bible.

That is too far out if taken literally.

One man had a panacea. Probably not.

A spirit made a girl pregnant. Nice excuse. I don't buy it.

Christianity sounds a bit nuts when taken literally.

Wicca is more realistic than that because it's metaphorical. It teaches without threats. It never demands.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Not all Christians are the same and not all Wiccans are the same. I think to ask about Wicca as a religion is fine but that does not necessarily mean that you will have any more insight on your friends. I did not find Wicca to be for me although I attended several rituals with a local group and at one point was helping to co-ordinate a pagan pride event. I do not have anything negative to say about the Wiccans I have met though I found most to be very nice genuine people -- though often taken for being a bit eccentric by some. The best way to find out what your friend believes or practices is to ask and if you do not care to know more than simply say so! I have lots of friends I never discuss religion with, it doesn't have to be weird.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yes, that's true. Ask 100 Wiccans a question about their beliefs and you'll get 100 answers.

I do it for the metaphorical aspect. Some are more literal than I am.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

White Dove, I'm tempted to point to "The Craft" or some of those teenage witch sites here but I thought I would be more helpful LOL. I wish I had met more like you that spoke of metaphor rather than "love magick" among my age group in particular.

• amicus
    amicus
    I was working at a place that a union was trying to get into

Interesting.

I wonder if my 30 years with the IBEW failed to reveal the Wiccan influence?

Local 340 was an interesting mix of mostly conservative, intelligent, dedicated and skilled workers trying to practice true democracy in a world ruled by a wealthy elite.

I know that it was folly, I respected the process though.

How did we ever miss out on the Union Wiccan influence you mention?

Damn, if I had only known!

• Texman55
    Texman55

Thanks for sharing with me, everyone. I really have to apologize....I see now that my initial remarks were prejudicial, and I should have expressed myself more respectfully. I really am open to the possibility that there is something good in the Wicca stuff....I believe my friend to be a good person.....though I probably would still have to agree with whitman's comments on the whole, and pass on getting involved myself.

But to those who find it a souce of goodness and comfort, I respect your feelings and wish you well with that. I'm at a point in life where I believe there is a spiritual force for good in the universe that might be at work in many guises.....though I'm not sure anymore that what we call it is the most important thing....only that we cooperate with the good. And not for our own benefit alone, but also for our neighbors'. Well, peace y'all, and thanks again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit