Cuban Missile Crisis and Armageddon

by Mandette 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mandette
    Mandette

I was watching a documentary on public television last night. It was about the Cold War. I'm wondering if anyone remembers or has done research on what the WTS attitude and stance was during that time. My father remembers it happening and said that the general view even at that time was that it was the closest the world had ever come to nuclear war.

So was the WTS right there saying that Armageddon was here?

Mandette

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

I remember being scared shitless as a 9 yr old in the Concord, NH congregation. The elders (or whatever they were called then) were beating the Armageddon drum pretty loudly. If they were doing this, I wonder how much they were influenced by headquarters . .?

Interesting question, looking forward to the responses . .

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I thought that the battle is between God and evil, not between man and man. It is called "the battle on the great day of God Almighty" (NIV).

Is there a mount Megiddo? Who are the "kings" who gather there?

There is a golden rule when considering prophecy: never ever interpret them through contemporary events. People have done this countless times down the centuries, but still people make the same mistake. Consider the errors that people in the 19th century made when they saw the fulfillment of prophecy in the Ottoman Empire. Whom today would bother doing that? It's laughable.

Sacred scripture must be used to interpret Scripture. Never interpret the holy with the profane.

It has nothing to do with the good message of the gospel; it's a distraction. It engendours fears, whereas the gospel gives hope and joy.

Doug
    Melbourne

• Mandette
    Mandette

Locutus,

Me too! I can't wait to hear what people know on this. And I wonder about the stance with the Korean War and Vietnam too. But maybe that's for another thread?

By the way, LOVE your handle...do you have those super-cool optical implants?

Mandette

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

The drum beat of armageddon

is always pounding................

Just sometimes it's louder and faster.

It's a know winner for keeping the R & F

in line and drooling

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

do you have those super-cool optical implants?
    Yes Ma'am!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Garbage men of strike means Armagedon is so close.

• Mandette
    Mandette

Locutus!

I think I'm in LOVE!

But seriously, I was hoping to get more answers on this thread....I'm a curious type! Oh well the day is still young......

Mandette

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

I was thinking more about this and I distinctly remember after president Kennedy's speech to the nation my dad (he was a servant at that time) saying that we would be in the paradise in a month and to pray to be hidden when the nuclar weapons started landing around us. We lived near Pease Air Force Base (a Strategic Air Command Base) in NH at the time. You can bet there were at least a dozen communist nukes targeted for each and every SAC base around the world.

Even at 9 I knew that god wasn't going to protect us if we were at ground zero when the balloon went up. We were f**ked.

I was terrified, I was petrified, it affected me profoundly right into my adult life.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The Israel-Arab conflict of 1973 we also came extremely close to nuclear war - that was also in the run up to 1975

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit