Anybody remember when southern congregations were integrated?

by Texman55 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Texman55
    Texman55

As I think I recall, this happened in the fall of 1972. I was living in Atlanta at the time, where it was a nonissue, there was a very pretty black girl who was very popular in the congo there. But back in my much smaller hometown, there were still black congregations when I started studying in 1970....totally separate KHs, totally separate circuit assemblies. Not sure if they had a separate CO...probably not.

In fact my great uncle, the eccentric old guy nobody in my family had much to do with....been a JW for ages but not very popular in the KH either....had a little house directly across the street.....moody, cranky old cuss, but very independent thinker too in a weird kind of Russelite way....he got Df'd around that time and I think it had something to do with the integration issue. I remember stopping to visit with him once and him castigating the "yankees" and their newfangled ideas about things....he might actually have said "damnyankees" lol.....meaning the CO and the Brooklyn big boys etc......course he also wrote books of poems and self published them.....really baaaad poetry that went on for days....all about god's coming kingdom and how you should only eat "natural" foods, etc etc etc. Lot of non-WT-approved ideas there. Poor old fellow, I felt sorry for him, all shriveled up and bent over with arthritis....age 80 something.....but he had such a hard nosed personality, not a lovable old cuss at all, just an ol cuss....sad.

Anyway, back on topic.....wondered if any others remember the integration period and if your congo experienced any problems/tensions over it. oh yeah just remembered, the justification for not being integrated up to that point was "it might stumble someone"....i.e., local white people who would be upset having to sit in a KH with black people. Yeah that was still the way it was in the South of my childhood all thru the sixties....believe it or not.....ugh. And dubs in the South didnt question it at all.

From JWs, Blacks and Discrimination at http://www.seanet.com/~raines/discrimination.html --

Changes came about only because of outside "worldly" social and legal forces:

The appeal and the need to belong, are so great it makes it impossible for black Witnesses to question the monolithically white nature of their leadership; it allows them to defend the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses were among the last of all religious groups to be integrated in the South. They waited until integration became law; they did not question the segregation laws that had kept them apart until then, nor did they protest them in the name of God. When nuns and priests and ministers and students marched to protest against what the Watchtower Society believed was Caesar's business, the Society called them "crazed mobs." (Harrison, 1978:261)

• blondie
    blondie

Definitely not before any laws were passed ending the Jim Crow laws.

Then since congregations are set up based on territory, congregation demographics still reflected the people living in the community.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w52 2/1 pp. 94-95 Questions From Readers ***

If the Watchtower Society is free from racial prejudice, why does it tolerate segregation at its assemblies in certain sections of country? Is this not a course of compromise?—F. C., Wisconsin.Why do we tolerate the segregation laws and policies of certain governments and organizations of this world? Because Jehovah has not commissioned us to convert the world, which is wicked beyond recovery and hence will be destroyed. Jehovah has commissioned us to preach the gospel. Now what should we do? Drop preaching to fight racial issues? We never have separate meetings and baptisms when we can have them together. But when impossible, shall we have separate meetings and baptisms, or none at all? Shall we serve spiritual food to all, even if separately, or serve it to none? Shall we provide baptism for all, even if separately, or provide it for none? Should we buck Caesar’s segregation laws, when they do not force us to violate God’s laws? God does not forbid separate assembly and baptism, and he commands assembly and baptism. (Matt. 28:19; Heb. 10:25) So should we disobey God to fight a racial issue? To buck the segregation laws would bring on disruption of the witness work, halting of it, mob violence, and possible loss of life. Only laws prohibiting gospel-preaching will we buck at that price.

Some may argue segregation is prohibited by God, citing Galatians 3:28 (NW): "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in union with Christ Jesus." That Paul spoke in a spiritual sense and not in a literal, physical sense is obvious, since actually there were male and female, slave and free, Jew and Greek. Because of the existence of Jew and Greek he specially accommodated himself and his preaching to such classes. (1 Cor. 9:19-22) His recognition of slave and freeman we will consider in more detail, since it bears directly on segregation. How so? Because segregation is rooted in slavery, is the outgrowth and hangover of slavery. Segregation, the stain left by slavery, is a lesser evil than slavery. So if the Bible does not instruct Christians to fight slavery it would not sanction them to battle the lesser evil of segregation, at the expense of gospel-preaching.

Even within the Christian congregation Paul did not protest the slavery of his time. Onesimus was Philemon’s slave, and both were Christians. (Philem. 10-16) Paul wrote Timothy, who pictured the society of witnesses today: "Let as many as are slaves under a yoke keep on considering their owners worthy of full honor." Why? "That the name of God and the teaching may never be spoken of injuriously." Kingdom preaching and Jehovah’s vindication are the issues to keep foremost, not creature equality and racial issues. "Moreover, let those having believing owners not look down on them, because they are brothers. On the contrary, let them the more readily be slaves, because those receiving the benefit of their good service are believers and beloved." (1 Tim. 6:1, 2, NW) Here again note that the slavery of those times existed even within the Christian congregation.

Paul also wrote: "In whatever state each one was called, let him remain in it. Were you called a slave? Do not let it worry you; but if you can also become free, rather seize the opportunity." If Paul could say this regarding slavery, how much more so can it be said to those discriminated against by segregation laws: "Do not let it worry you." It is no cause for Christian concern or anxiety. But if the Lord’s people are in locations where they are free of segregation laws or policies, they rejoice in the greater freedom and delight to be together in assembly. All are slaves of Christ, as Paul goes on to show: "Anyone in the Lord that was called a slave is the Lord’s freedman: likewise he that was called a free man is a slave of Christ." (1 Cor. 7:20-24, NW) Surprisingly, some colored brothers have strenuously objected to this, protesting as offensive the use of the word "slave" in the NewWorldTranslation. Any who do not wish to be Christ’s slave, whether white or black, can cease such service at any time; but they will be slaves nonetheless, only slaves of Satan and sin. (Rom. 6:16-23, NW) Those who magnify human importance soon hide from their view the really vital issues.

Jehovah is no respecter of persons. Neither are his people. But the world in which we live is. Whites are prejudiced against colored, colored are prejudiced against whites. In some colored communities after nightfall a white person would enter at the risk of his very life. To justify this on the grounds that the whites started the discrimination is not Scriptural. (Rom. 12:17) Now, where the danger is extreme should white persons enter these hostile communities and suffer beating and possibly death to prove they have a democratic right to be there? Should a white witness endanger his life to attend a meeting of colored witnesses in such places, or stay overnight with his colored brothers there, just to prove his democratic right to do so?

Many colored persons practice color-prejudice against their own people. Lighter-colored Negroes will shun the darker ones. Some from the Western Hemisphere look down upon the very dark ones from Africa. In South Africa, whites discriminate against the mixed coloreds, the mixed coloreds against the native blacks, the native blacks against the Indian coolies, and in their native India the Indians discriminate against the no caste or outcasts. Who is innocent to throw the first stone? Can we not see that all classes of the human race are evil, that if we start reforming we shall be lost in an impossible task, with endless discriminations and many varieties or injustices to beat down, which crusading social and political organizations of this world have hopelessly fought for years? For us to become like them would be to fail with them, consume our time in such reforms, lose out as Jehovah’s witnesses, and please only the Devil.

So let us please God by preaching the gospel despite the undesirable conditions the Devil’s world may make for us. Let us not be sidetracked by Satan and caught in a subtle snare camouflaged in lofty motives and ideals. Can we not wait upon Jehovah to avenge the wrongs we suffer now? Really, our colored brothers have great cause for rejoicing. Their race is meek and teachable, and from it comes a high percentage of the theocratic increase. What if the worldly wise and powerful and noble look down on them as foolish and weak and ignoble, not on an equality with self-exalted whites? It is to God’s ultimate honor, for he confounds the wise of this world by choosing those the world considers foolish and weak and ignoble. Let us boast in Jehovah and in our equality in his sight, rather than wanting to boast in equality in the world’s sight. (1 Cor. 1:26-31, NW) In due time the exalted ones will be humbled, and the humble ones will be exalted. (Matt. 23:12) All of us await this vindication from God, which will come in his due time. Until then, as Paul advised concerning slavery we advise concerning its lingering trace, segregation: "Do not let it worry you." (1 Cor. 7:21, NW) When possible we will meet together, when not possible we will meet separately; but in either event we are always united in spirit, brothers equal in our own sight, in Christ’s sight, and in God’s sight.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Marking this for further investigation.

Never had thought about this before.

• Texman55
    Texman55

Great material from the 52 wt blondie, thanks for posting.

Can we not see that all classes of the human race are evil, that if we start reforming we shall be lost in an impossible task, with endless discriminations and many varieties or injustices to beat down, which crusading social and political organizations of this world have hopelessly fought for years?

boy, just listen to this shit....impossible task....hopeless. like they really cared. though i have to say after the congos were integrated i was never aware of any issues where I was....maybe some of the older pubs werent exactly thrilled but....wasnt long before we had a black TMS servant.

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

My mother grew up in small-town Mississippi and then Memphis. She used to tell me about going to all Black congregations. They had visiting speakers and COs who were White though. She didn't go to an integrated congregation until she moved to Kansas in '75.

I am happy that that concept is foreign to me. My congregations were always thoroughly racially mixed.

• blondie
    blondie

I have attended congregations in large black communities in general. The only "white" jws were visitors or Bethelites assigned there. Congregations tend to reflect the racial background of the local territory even though there is no legal segregation any more. I have seen white jw families reassigned to predominantly black congregations and vice versa, trying supposedly to deal with prejudice. It wasn't until the mid 1970's that there was a black elder in the large city I lived in. Some jws actually thought that black people weren't smart enough to be elders.

Blondie

• seek2find
    seek2find

I grew up in a white only congregation, and remember when the announcement was made that the congregations were to integrate. Most everyone welcomed the change, although there were a few that grumbled. It seems like the ban on smoking cause more problems than integration. I think most of the witnesses knew that segregation wasn't right. The Black folks put a lot of life into the congregation, and was overall a positive thing. seek2find

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I remember stopping to visit with him once and him castigating the "yankees" and their newfangled ideas about things....he might actually have said "damnyankees" lol.....meaning the CO and the Brooklyn big boys etc......course he also wrote books of poems and self published them.....really baaaad poetry that went on for days....all about god's coming kingdom and how you should only eat "natural" foods, etc etc etc. Lot of non-WT-approved ideas there. Poor old fellow, I felt sorry for him, all shriveled up and bent over with arthritis....age 80 something.....but he had such a hard nosed personality, not a lovable old cuss at all, just an ol cuss....sad.

Don't misjudge your uncle too quickly. His ideas on natural foods, etc., may have found their source from early predecessor of Awake! magazine. Rather than non-WT-approved ideas, writers of that periodical (Golden Age) actually promoted many of the dietary teachings of Professor Ehret, a self-proclaimed Doctor with very radical ideas. You may want to check out this link .

Len Miller

• Texman55
    Texman55

good point, fatfreek....yeah youre right some of his ideas probly came from the old GA stuff....I found lots of old GAs at my grandparents hourse....no doubt they had come from him many years before. but both my grandfather and he were heavy on the natural food ideas, dont drink fluoridated water or cokes, boiled apples for breakfast and no sugar, no white flour, yada yada yada....they would have loved living in this day and time when its actually hip to be a health fanatic, imho.....though grandpa had never been a jw.....thank god or I might have had a whole family of jws to contend with....what a scary thought.....lol.

that's a great story on your other thread, man....thanks for sharing. you were a super good friend, i'm impressed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit