Reading Steve Hassan's Book. WOW!

by White Dove 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

I too found "Combatting Cult Mind Control" to be brilliant and insightful in ways I didn't expect. Coming at it from the perspective of a non-JW trying to help a JW, it was especially helpful to me because it explained exactly WHY so many of the initial knee-jerk reactions are wrong, and what to do instead. This book gave me insights I've not found anywhere else, and helped me learn how to approach things effectively rather than just instinctively (in the case of JWs, the two are often at odds!).

I'm glad you're reading it and finding from it the commonalities amongst cults in general. That must be incredibly freeing and enlightening for one who has suffered a JW life, to learn that it's not unique to JWs but rather is a mindf*ck that has hurt and ensnared others in all kinds of different contexts. Man behind the curtain indeed, that's all the WTS is and they're not even special or unique about it.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

I'm kinda echoing what others have said but its such a good book that I wanted to make a comment.

I found that finding out all the things that WTS have done wrong really knocked me for 6 and I constantly had all sorts of conflicting thought and emotions running around in my head. I couldn't seem to get a handle on things til I read that book. It helped me to put some order on my thought, labels for want of a better word. It helped clarify things, helped me see I wasn't some idiot for falling for this and that there is a way to get my life back together in spite of this unpleasant experience. I'm also hoping to use the info to get my family to see the light. Hopefully.

Its a bit easier to be more open with this book than say Ray's books coz technically it isnt apostate.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I consider it the number one text for people whose loved-ones are in the grip of the society, and they are trying to find a way to reach them. Once you catch on to the two personalities, you can waste a lot of time and effort by not threatening the put-on cult personality any more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit