What do you think about Evolution debates?

by rem 27 Replies latest jw friends

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Rem,

Just trying to get back to your topic:

Admittedly this is a question mainly for the lurkers, so this post might not get many responses. But the reason I post this is to ask if all the time and effort we spend on this subject is just an exercise in futility, or do people actually learn from and/or enjoy these discussions?
    I’ll go first:
    What a contradiction?

You ask for lurkers to respond and then you respond like your a lurker!

So shouldn't regular posters not be talking about the debate on this thread since you are regular posters?(and not lurkers).

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hey dw,

well, i guess i consider myself a lurker on the evolution threads since i never (or usually never) post on those types of threads, i just read them (ie "lurk")

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies, Take away everything And make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth: And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights.~~Bob Marley

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

peaceloveharmony,

So if you don't post on threads about evolution why are you posting on this one?

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • siegswife
    siegswife

Could it be because she usually 'lurks' on them? The question was for lurkers, right?

• rem
    rem

Dw,

I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from. Anyone is welcome to post on this thread. I was just making a special invitation to ones who don't post often, at least on evolution threads, that way I could get a feel for the mood of the board.

I suppose my main intent is to see if it is worth the time and effort to respond to creationists with the evolutionary viewpoint. From the responses so far it seems it's a valuable contribution to the board. I know it was valuable to me, but how am I to know that I'm not the only one?

If you don't find threads on Evolution valuable then here is your chance to say so. :)

rem

PS: I'd like to add that I consider myself more a lurker on this board since I post far less often than some of the more familiar faces here.

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain
  • peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

dw, i posted on this thread because rem asked what we (the board) thought about the evolution debates. just wanted to say that i enjoy them. you didn't get that from my earlier post?

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies, Take away everything And make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth: And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights.~~Bob Marley

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

peaceloveharmony,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean.
    I just was trying to bring the thread back to it's original purpose, I thought Rem was a real stickler for that from his post, but since he now does not seem to mind and with his good graces I would like to say I like these debates, and I think we will find out a lot if we are both interested in the same thing, "the quest for truth".
    I know we will never find THE TRUTH, but if we try on both sides to be fair, and admit both side have to makes great leaps in faith to beleive.

• perfectpie
    perfectpie

Rem, "Are you losing your religion" or do you just like deep sleep?
    Just kidding.

Great takes and great post.

I feel over all they are postive. Perhaps the only negative with these life origins has been my temerous name calling. I was vexed only in the clones and their unfair assumptions.

I love different viewpoints. What I still can't understand is how the evolutionist here think that if you believe in creation, that you have denied the facts and can't think well. Maybe someone just has a different conclusion of the same facts.

What really scares me are many people who seem to latch onto this teaching to assuage themselves just to fully break free from Watchtower rigidness. I don't congrue with the Watchtower in toto yet I won't mindlessly go 180 just to feel free.

But again I don't know this, I probably don't even know myself, but it kills me when everybody else promulgates such all knowingness on the thinking of someone who believes in creation.

Thanks for the take and great quote

"The legions of the stupid are invincible and shall be with us for a long time, but the terror of their tyranny is alleviated by their lack of consistency." albert

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Rem,

What is an unfortunate outcome of these 'scientific' debates/discussions is, whoever appears to have gathered, researched and compiled the most material(not necessarily facts..given the nature of the subject) and is then able to verbalize it with authority and conviction, actually perform like a salesman/preacher, claiming my product (conclusions) are so much better than yours.

The layman become impressed with all the verbage, and out pop's neophytes who base their own spiritual belief's on the sheer weight of someone's, ability to sound convincing.

To me trying to come to a meeting of the minds on the subject of Evolution Fact of Fiction, is like choosing a flavor of ice cream. Either way, it crap shoot as to what flavor is better.

Anyone who stands up and say's this is the way it all happened, it is a fact, just likes to hear the sound of his own voice.

When the choices are life starting completely on it's own vs a thoughful design....there is just to many if's to overcome, to take a dogmatic stance, either way.

I prefer to make my own observations of the world around me, than to give my mind away, to the best 'street barker' with the most fancy clothes and smooth way of talking.

Danny

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Dannybear,

I may have been rude to you I think one time in the past, please except my apology.
    Very thoughtful post BTW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit