Any Buddhists here?

by DevonMcBride 31 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

One of the most wonderful things about the Buddha-way is that the true student no longer feels it necessary to convert the entire world to a particular way of thinking.

This is truly "opening the heart".

• theliteissobrite
    theliteissobrite

Converting the world is the work we've been called to by our Lord.

• james_woods
    james_woods

And so it is with the radical Muslims.

• theliteissobrite
    theliteissobrite

I don't know about them. I just know what Jesus has done for me in my life. I wish every one could feel that !

• james_woods
    james_woods

We are getting a pretty good picture, brite.

Some of us may wish that it were just a little more of a peaceful place to be for you.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    I didn't mean to offend any one. I just would want that every one could feel what I do. Just open you're heart !

I don't know that you did offend anyone ;) You sorta hit the nail on the head....it's a Feeling that you have that you wish to share.

Converting the world is the work we've been called to by our Lord.

And?

I don't know about them. I just know what Jesus has done for me in my life. I wish every one could feel that !

Well...okay a lot of people have done the "saved by Jesus" thing along with church and the general feeling that you described above. Then they become Buddhist or Pagan or Hindu or <<gasp>> atheist ;) I.e. some people HAVE done what you said and have still followed other paths that make more sense to them. You might believe that Jesus is the only way, that doesn't make it true. You might have a great feeling from your experience, but others have not had that experience and so are enjoying an alternate path. If it works for you, super. But telling someone else it's the ONLY way wellllllllllllllllllll not so super. Either way, it's always only my opinion which you will take or leave. And either way, welcome to jwd.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Watched a similarly eager-to-convert-you-all Kirk Cameron and his buddy on TV the other night. These spiritual bullies just look pathetic when compared to the Buddhist spiritual leaders like Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama.

Buddhism has a serious appeal - and unlike Christianity, it isn't powered by the "you're a liar, thief and fornicator that God is going to burn in hell unless you repent and get saved" approach that the Kirk Cameron-types use. The power of Buddhism (and Taoism - which I prefer), is that you see people who practice it living in joy and satisfaction, while the face of Christianity is most often an angry, arrogant asshole telling you what a piece of shit you are in God's eyes and how you need to change and be like he is, saved, or his loveing God will kill you.

I can't hardly think of any Christian teacher that I've ever met or even heard of that seemed even remotely Christ-like. Maybe Thomas Merton - but then he was half-Buddhist anyway, I think!

S4

• sir82
    sir82

The Gospel as preached by (most) Christians can generally be simplified down to this:

"Do it my way, or my God will kill you."

After finally discerning that this is the real message of most Christian religions today, it's no surprise that many ex-JWs / ex-Christians are drawn to a more welcoming message, such as that found in most forms of Buddhism.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

A link to a Buddhist temple near my house.

http://www.glbvihara.org/

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What I have read about Buddhism is appealing.

No great answers to the big mystery.

But a way to find peace in this life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit