How to find new friends?

by socialdistortion 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Texman55
    Texman55

Hi Chrissy, falling into the borg at a young age and staying all through my teens really messed me up socially, so I can relate to what you're saying.

When they said "avoid worldly associations," well I took that very much to heart....dropped the friends I had....stopped trying to make new ones at school....either made do with the relatively few kids my age at the KH or did without. I remember lots and lots of hours and days and nights sitting home alone. After I left the borg, I eventually got better, but I'm still basically shy and wary about meeting new people, underneath.

If you and your hubby have been out for 8 years and you still find it really hard to make friends, then it might be healthy to break the pattern, get out of the rut. Take a class, join a club; make it something low stress and interesting to you so you can stay in your comfort zone. Do something new, but not too scary, even just once a month; plan for it. And don't go into it thinking you just have to make friends with everybody.....just get used to the idea of being around new and different people without having to have a certain outcome.

It's a drawback though, if you are still thinking "well we are good people and everybody else is bad and doomed to destruction." That's a hangover from WT thought control, which was designed to keep you isolated and dependent on the borg all the time. Let go of that attitude, if you still have it. Now don't go handing your car keys to a thug on the sidewalk either lol....use common sense.....but just recognize the profound truth that all human beings, including me and the two of you, are a mixture of both good and evil; and be open to seeing the good parts in others.

In my lifetime, language, clothing, manners have all tended to get more lax, and often more rude/crude....and i plead guilty to going along with some of all that. But it's whats in the heart that really counts, and how you treat your fellow man. Not following all the rules perfectly. Certainly, there are still plenty of "good" moral, conservative people around.....maybe not quite as conservative as the locked-in-concrete JW's.......but lots of churches offer friendly, "nice" social opportunities, even for nonmembers.

I'm not advising you join a church because that's not where I'm at now.....but I do wonder if this social problem you have is a symptom of a longing for a 'spiritual' home too? I think there is a spiritual side of life....I'm not prepared to define just what that is for anyone else these days....for some it might be artistic or philosophic or athletic rather than "religious"......there's lots of spiritual avenues to choose from if thats really what you want....but you're the only ones who can decide that.

Finally....didn't mean to run on here.....if none of the above work, or if you find it all just too scary to try....then perhaps you might think about seeing a counselor or therapist for some short-term counseling. If money is a problem, most counties have at least one public mental health center where you can get services on a sliding-scale basis, or even for free; and so do some private non-profit centers. Doesn't mean you're sick or anything like that.....but a trained counselor will help you look at what might be blocking you and how you might get around the blockage. Therapy is not magic, won't turn you into something you're not....but might help you see something you can't yet see about yourselves. Just a suggestion.

I remember the hard transition from being isolated and alone....to learning to relate to "normal" people "normally" again....so my heart goes out to you. Just take it a step at the time and remember what my mother always said....to have a friend, you have to be a friend. Good luck to you both.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Move to a small town, you get to know everybody.

• jgnat
    jgnat

As others have said, join a social group or start a hobby of some kind that gets you out of the house and interacting with people.

Then, when you are invited out for coffee, go.

What maybe was missed from what others have said it that there's a sort of social dance that goes on that leads to greater levels of intimacy. You don't dump your whole life story on the first person who says "hello". You also don't ask deep, personal questions at first. I always crack a joke to see if the person has a sense of humor or not. If they don't, the relationship remains superficial, though I may stay friendly.

Levels of intimacy go sort of like this:

• The weather. (At least in Canada, this is a guaranteed conversation starter)
    • Opinions.
    • Family (married, not married. How many children).
    • Job and career.
    • Passions and interests.
    • Family - the skeletons and the black sheep. (very last)

Conversationalists might bounce back up a level if the person feels that an intimacy line has been crossed. You find out how much you have in common without revealing too much.

Listen more than you tell, because nearly everyone on the planet is dying to tell their story. Invariably, if you listen well, they will think you are a great conversationalist.

Nearly everybody is lonely and insecure, hoping for friendship. When you realize that your problem is everyone's problem, it can dispel a lot of fears. When in a large social gathering, don't be drawn to the peacock in the middle of the room. Seek out those like yourself on the edges of the crowd.

• restrangled
    restrangled
    I think normal people think there is something weird about us. I think it's because we were raised with good values from being witnesses but maybe we are too good for the general normal population?

One important "good value" is humility

R's Hubby

• ibme
    ibme

Socialdistortion,

Me believes that Thoreau said it very well in his writings,

"The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend".

In my area we have very little one way streets.

It's great for traffic flow.

However, at times when all you want to do is get one block over,
    you find you have to travel five blocks down and five blocks back
    to get one block over.

What me is trying to say, (you know this), Sometime to have a friend,
    while it might seem out of the way, we must go the extra distance to be
    a friend.

Thanks

• Quandry
    Quandry

Also, here's one I plan to try when I retire in a couple of years. The local animal shelter. You can volunteer to go and pet (or walk) dogs and cats, or possibly help groom them.

There are women's clubs, if you have the time to join them. Also, just take a walk in your neighborhood, and be friendly with the neighbors. Perhaps sit outside on the weekends.

Hope this helps some. And of course, go to the gathering in Jax when it is put together. Maybe volunteer to help with that......

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Do what you like to do x 100, and it will happen.

• KungFu
    KungFu

Here are some ideas:

1) You and your husband can join a salsa or dance class.
    2) Take martial arts
    3) Find something that interests you (art,music,etc.) and take a class at the local college or community college.
    4) Go to some non-Christian churches/temples. Meet up with some Bahais or Buddhists or Universalists. This will help you get over the idea that JWs had such high standards and you'll realize there are complete non-jw strangers that will welcome you and treat you well. I've met with Bahais, Buddhists, went to a mostly black protestant church (I'm white),
    a Falun Gong group......just curiosity and experimenting and found that there were a lot of good friendly people. Bahais let me in their home as a guest for coffee and snacks and such, were very friendly. The Buddhists were very friendly. And in the black protestant church, everyone was friendly and welcoming. If you were a JW and met up these people after their meeting, you'd think you were in a Kingdom Hall...the only difference was that the people during the service were more dynamic and emotional in the church.
    5) Volunteer locally (JWs talk bad about people who are "worldly"...there are plenty of these so-called worldly people that volunteer their time to helping other people )
    6) Just for fun, go watch some local comedy shows.
    7) Go to a quiet jazz club (since you seem not to be into bars or clubs). Meet the band members. Find out the places they play at.
    8) Hang out with the people you work with. Tell them you're going for a drink or coffee after work and invite them.
    9) If you need to brush up on your conversational skills, get the book "The Fine Art of Small Talk" by Debra Fine.
    10)Join toastmasters (google it)...it's a public speaking/self-improvement class.
    11)Make a list of all the things, big and small, that you enjoy doing and do them. Make a list of things you'd like to try, and do them.
    12)Join a gym. Talk to people at the gym. If you click with someone, invite her for a smoothie or something.
    13)Rekindle old friendships...call up old friends. Have a night or 2 a week where you call them up. Just for a chat or to make plans.
    14)Move to a new area if you dislike where you live. You can pick areas where there's lots of stuff to do.
    15)See if there are any groups that like to bike or hike in your area. Google it.
    16)Go to meetup.com..........find groups that talk about things you're interested in. If you want to accelerate your social life using meetup, then join several groups and go to all their meetings.
    17) GET PEOPLE'S CONTACT INFO. People that you really click with and invite them over for coffee or dinner. Entertain people at your home.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Hi IMHO,

You are right - it is impossible to pull yourself out of that pit. It sounds like depression, and if someone is depressed, no advice here will probably help. It would be better to talk to a doctor.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Keep your eyes and ears open.

To have a friend you have to be a friend.

I have never been into having friends. I have had lots of people try to be friends and I discourage it.

My wife is enough for me.

If I want to play music I run or answer an add for being in a band, those people are my friends for the time.

In the past I would play soft ball the people on the team were my friends that day.

When I go to the gym, every body I see there is my buddy.

I call them Hi-buddys. Everytime I see them I say Hi!.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit