Woke up and found out my gas was stolen....

by FreedomFrog 24 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Kids came home from their dads this morning and Zach said, "mom, did you know your gas door and cap was off?" So I sprinted downstairs and investigated....I had just over 1/2 tank and now over night I'm down around 1/8 tank...I'll report it to the management but I don't think the police will do anything since it's not over a certain amount lost.

My car doors were locked and I don't see damage on the outside.

I just hope it went to someone who really needed it. I'll imagine, just for the sake of things, that it was a father/mother and they needed it to go to the store to buy their baby some milk....or something.......or better yet, they are going to sell the gas to get milk for their poor baby.

This place use to be nice but since they have changed managements last year, everything is getting worse here. Only 3 more weeks and I'm in my new place!!! YAY

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

I guess this has been happening a lot lately. I was watching my local news a week or so ago and they did a report about it. Stores are selling more locking gas caps than they did previously.

• *summer*
    *summer*

Unfortunately, with the state of the economy, we will see more and more of this happening

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Stores are selling more locking gas caps than they did previously.

Locking caps...hmmmm, that's a good idea. About how much are they? My cap is hooked with a plastic thing so the person putting gas in wont forget it...would I have to cut that off in order to put the new cap on?

• DJ_Q
    DJ_Q

That sucks, I live in Houston, and we have some of the lowest gases prices around, and we have started hearing of people stealing gas. Crazy, crazy.

DJ_Q

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie
    I just hope it went to someone who really needed it. I'll imagine, just for the sake of things, that it was a father/mother and they needed it to go to the store to buy their baby some milk....or something.......or better yet, they are going to sell the gas to get milk for their poor baby.

I know what you mean. I also try to tell myself these things too, but most of the time, it's just people out for themselves. No hungry babies, no desperate but good people, just jerks out for themselves when they start feeling a money pinch.

Most of us are feeling the pinch, but we're not out stealing. We're just cutting back and sacrificing.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

They range in price. Go into an auto supply store and check around. Be sure to ask for help to ensure you get the proper gas cap for your make and model of car.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I hate to tell you this but our county sheriff has told people not to bother with locking gas caps. Around here, if they see that the gas cap locks, they just punch a hole in the gas tank.

Our sheriff said to park in your garage and lock it or, if you're parking on the street, park with your gas cap to the "street side" so that the thieves won't be able to hunker down on the sidewalk side, unseen by passing motorists, and steal your gas.

StAnn

• sacolton
    sacolton

Odd. Gas has come down in price in recent weeks. From $3.84 to $3.36.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I hate to tell you this but our county sheriff has told people not to bother with locking gas caps. Around here, if they see that the gas cap locks, they just punch a hole in the gas tank.

Our sheriff said to park in your garage and lock it or, if you're parking on the street, park with your gas cap to the "street side" so that the thieves won't be able to hunker down on the sidewalk side, unseen by passing motorists, and steal your gas.

Well, that is a bummer cause I don't have a garage and the only place is parking spots...so not streets to direct my gas cap towards. I'm going to see if the big light that is across from us is out again. It was out for a while until most of the apartment people started complaining and they got it fixed.

I'll just start parking closer to the steps. Even though I won't be able to see my car from that angle, the lights will be on it better and may discourage theives. When I can scrape up the money, maybe I can invest in an alarm system but for now, I'll just have to hope it doesn't happen again.

I don't think I'll fill my tank up again. I'll keep it 1/4 tank or little less than 1/2 from now on. I don't drive much anyways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit