Loneliness

by B_Deserter 36 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Over the years I've been on a few sites and at first met a bunch of guys. Then I got much more selective.

Lately I've found that others were right about joining clubs and such. Growing up as a JW I picked up a distain for clubs and all sorts of extracurricular activities. It's taken me sooo long to get over that. I now belong to a riding club with about 30 members. Going to the gym - especially same day, same time each week - you will meet people.

Taking a class is another great idea. And this has the added benefit of furthering your education.

I'm cautious about Craigslist, but there is a section for Community (especially 'Groups' and 'Activities') that might help you find someone to hang out with. Even if it's just once or twice, it's a start. I've found a few people in the 'Strictly Platonic' section. I had an extra ticket to a sold-out show and placed an ad. I got over 15 responses, took one person and met about 5 of the others. Could have met more but got too busy!!

I think the key is to keep it simple. Be open minded. Don't get into heavy discussions until after you've know the person for a bit (maybe not even then!). Stay safe by sticking with public venues like coffee shops.

Have you tried organizing a little apostafest? They don't all have to be elaborate.

Let us know how things go. Good Luck and have fun!

-Aude.

• Layla33
    Layla33

B_Deserter,

Don't look at internet dating as desperate, look at it as the way of the future. How are people going to meet each other these days? We work in cubicles, use the self check out at the grocery store, the library, and the gas station, many do not go to church, and in general people are waiting long past high school to get serious. I know at least three couples who got together this way, and have done well. I have also heard a few horror stories, but you hear those from people who met in traditional ways all the time.

Have fun.

Me too. I have heard good and bad. One of my girlfriends is dating a guy she met on e-harmony. And that was after almost giving up on dating. Another one of my girlfriends is dating a guy she met on yahoo personals. One of my best male friends is married to a woman he met on myspace AND they have a child together. I know two other people, namely coworkers and friends of friends that are married and met from the internet.

Now of course there is the other side, but just use good judgment, don't put your eggs in one basket and just have fun with it.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Actually, a year ago almost to the day I started a thread looking for assistance in improving my social life:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/139804/1.ashx

A few sent me pm's with good info, too.

-Aude.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Why don't all the single posters open to meeting someone, just write a response here or start a thread. Give their age and region. And then if someone else from this board is interested they can send a PM. Not encouraging stalking or anything, but why can't this forum have its own singles group (sort of)?

• milligal
    milligal

I highly reccomend vacationing near a military base. Now a days there are plenty male and female soldiers (not sure of your gender or preference). These people are lonely also, many of them looking for friendships with the opposite sex and if they are just back from deployment or have another in their future they are looking for some fun.

I met my husband on my way out of JW, he was df'd the same time I was, now he's in the military (thus the information above ). I wish you the best!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

If you are in a decent size area, look for some singles gatherings.

They have this thing now where you go to a group event and you talk with everyone there for so many minutes and then you can decide who to pursue. I forget what they call this.

• lola28
    lola28

Get a dog. We got a dog a few months and I can tell you that anyone and everyone will stop you to ask about him/her or just to tell you how cute your dog is, also the dog park has a good suppy of single people.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Lola is right about that.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    They have this thing now where you go to a group event and you talk with everyone there for so many minutes and then you can decide who to pursue. I forget what they call this.

It's called speed dating. One would think this ain't for the meek (no pun intended) but it would force one to break out of one's shell. Just jump right in. Besides, if they aren't interested, who cares what they think?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Speed dating, yeah that is it. Cuts through alot of the BS, plus you know that everyone is there for the same reason you are, and you don't have to guess who is already taken.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit