I just heard from one of the reporters concerning the KH suicide bombing

by Lady Zombie 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Rick from sixscreens knows how to get ahold of Bergman.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Found this in case you're interested:

Gerald Bergman
    Northwest State Community College
    22600 State Rte. 34 Archbold, OH 43502
    Office Number: E216A
    (419) 267-1244
    Home: 321 Iuka, Montpelier, OH 43543
    (419) 485-3602
    Email: mailto:[email protected]

• wednesday
    wednesday

I find it odd too that this story has just disappeared. There must be some influential people involved in keeping this out of the press. I know it is very common for jws to disown a person if they disgrace Jehovah in a big way. And that is all these miserable people are thinking- this poor man disgraced Jehovah. He was just mentally ill. Oh well .

I throughly expected to see Fox giving it some coverage or CNN, but Nada. But you know murder and suicide, bombing , school shooting, etc, all so common in our world now.

Things do get covered up, i recall a 3x child molester in Walmart arrested who was active jws and it got buried despite attempts to get the story out.

If we want this story we need a credible person to talk to that reporter, and seeker4 seems to be that person. i think Barbara

Anderson is a very excellent resource as is Bill Bowen.

I hope that there are people "on" this . Sometimes there is and it just cannot be talked about on an open board b/c you know the jws do read this broad.

Say a prayer for this poor man and his family. Maybe the xjw community can bring some justice to this man and his family.

• journey-on
    journey-on

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out the legal eagles at the WTS actually send out warnings to the

news media management worded in such a way that misinformation of any kind might be grounds for

a lawsuit where the "good name" of Jehovah's Witnesses may be slandered. Just a guess.

Nowadays, there is no such thing as real investigative reporting, imo. Everybody is too afraid of lawsuits.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I find it odd too that this story has just disappeared. There must be some influential people involved in keeping this out of the press. I know it is very common for jws to disown a person if they disgrace Jehovah in a big way. And that is all these miserable people are thinking- this poor man disgraced Jehovah. He was just mentally ill. Oh well .

I throughly expected to see Fox giving it some coverage or CNN, but Nada. But you know murder and suicide, bombing , school shooting, etc, all so common in our world now.

At first I wondered at the amount of time it took to simply get out a name - but surely the "JW political-law machine" could not have moved against the local media that quickly. Then it dragged on through most of the week, and no Fox, no CNN, nothing nationally that I could see.

I think there may be a more plausible answer - the Shootings in Tennesee. This totally pulled all the press for that time frame, as it was a lot more horrifying than a single suicide. There were even "local heroes" who captured him and prevented more killings. Plus, it had the questionable "sex appeal" of a political issue...was the Church involved targeted as a hate crime because they were liberals?

What will be most interesting is not so much what the local press eventually reports on it, but what the internal word the local JW leadership is going to internally tell the flock. Will they claim the guy was driven crazy by demonism or apostacy? Will they try to tell them to just shut up?

Time will tell.

• Robdar
    Robdar

According to the news reports here, in KC, the matter is still be investigated.

I don't understand the urgency. What's the rush?

• Robdar
    Robdar

And why is everybody referring to this as a suicide bombing?

The KH blew up and somebody died. Again, this matter is still being investigated.

http://pd.kansascity.com/sp?aff=100&keywords=church+explosion+in+bates+city

• journey-on
    journey-on
    but surely the "JW political-law machine" could not have moved against the local media that quickly

They probably could move that fast. Aren't the elders supposed to contact headquarters legal dept. first when something

happens that might impact the organization? They probably have a basic form letter they fax out or email as a preliminary

warning immediately. Don't underestimate the WTS when it comes to legal matters.

• james_woods
    james_woods

They probably could move that fast. Aren't the elders supposed to contact headquarters legal dept. first when something

happens that might impact the organization?

Maybe, Journey-On - but when something blows up in broad daylight and a dead body is found with a gunshot wound inside, I would think that it would be in the hands of the police, the fire department, the arson squad, and the press would be on it as fast or faster than the local elders would realize that their kingdom hall went up in smoke.

Probably the legal-eagles did show up or get involved by phone, but I bet their first priority was property loss, insurance claims, possible liability denial, etc.

My instinct would be to say that the seeming slowness of notification of the name had more to do with the criminal investigation, and possibly even getting a correct forensic identification of the body. (hate to say it, but we don't know how badly it was burned up -) I don't think anybody's legal team can possibly stop of Coroner's Office from releasing the name of the deceased after the identity is made and the legal notifications are done, nor could they stop the press from printing it.

Nor do I think that this tragedy is going to make much of a PR dent in the WTS machine - just another lost soul of which there are many in today's world. Not a big deal with the general public - certainly not to compare with the Amish schoolgirls, that church in Colorado, or the Tennessee thing last week.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Actually, James_Woods, I wasn't thinking about the surface story. As has been discussed on this thread and another one,

I was thinking about the secondary story here.....why there is so much depression and other mental illnesses among JWs.

This man's tragedy is one in several in recent years. We have even had a thread recently about suicide. It amazed me how

many know someone among JWs that have done this and it has to make one wonder.

This is where I think legal probably squashes things before they even have a chance to be brought up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit