Proof the GB don't know what the hell they are doing

by slimboyfat 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Another poster (dozy) mentioned this briefly on another thread, but I don't think anyone picked up on it and it deserves its own thread I think.

You know how there was a special announcement a few weeks ago saying that Book Study groups are stopping from January 2009? Well take a look at these comments in the new book ("Keep Yourselves in God's Love") released at this year's conventions, under the heading "Be Obedient to Those Who Are Taking the Lead" on page 48:

In the Christian congregation today, there is a similar need for organization. That is why a book study group has an overseer, a congregation has elders, a group of congregations has a circuit overseer, a group of circuits has a district overseer, and a country has a Country Committee or a Branch Committee. Because of this organization, each man acting as a shepherd is able to pay close attention to Jehovah's sheep assigned to his care. Such shepherds are accountable to Jehovah and to Christ. - Acts 20:28

This can only mean that the decision to drop the Book Study was made in such a hurry this spring that it was too late to change the comments in the new book about how vital the book study is. Plus if they really are going to get rid of circuit overseers as per the rumours (and it looks that way) then by the time this book is actually studied (at the abbreviated Ministry School "Bible Study" presumably) some time next year, two key components of this 'vital organisation' will have already vanished - the book study and circuit overseers. What are ordinary Witnesses to make of these slapdash, ill-thought-out changes? If the organization is so vital why are they dismantling it?

Does this apparent rush indicate that dropping the Book Study was indeed a hasty change made for legal reasons? Perhaps because of prosecutions against the Society for crimes committed at book study venues?

At least when they made the "generation" change in 1995 there seems to have been a run-up period of 6 months to a year where they did not reiterate the "old light" before introducing the new. With these structural changes it seems like they are being made on a wim, with no forward planning, and nobody warning the writing department about what is in the pipeline.

There is no grand strategy. Never mind the Watchower launching their own satelites, they could not organize a piss up in a brewery.

The governing body don't know what the hell they are doing!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yeah I think most of the older one's have a hardening of arteries that feed thier itty bitty indoctrinated brains.

They only surround themselves with ass kissing yes men who were to affraid to tell those absent minded boobs they fucked up.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

perhaps they've got warring factions - now that would be interesting

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    perhaps they've got warring factions - now that would be interesting

Intersting thought! And not impossible. In fact I think someone mentioned the older GB memebers were against dropping the book study. How they know or how reliable that is I don't know. But reports of differences between the writing department and the service department are as old as Ray Franz's time.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

These numbnuts on the GB are so stupid that they will probably send the CO's to privately give the congregations heads up on the blunder and let them know in a nice way some member of the othersheep and not the GB goofed and for the friends always to remember peter's word to jesus "where can we go" and not to look elsewhere for their spiritual food, They will no doubt use some minutes praising the GB for thier prayerful attention to details and not just some old fougies falling asleep at important GB whatsup meetings.

• james_woods
    james_woods

SlimboyFat wrote:

reports of differences between the writing department and the service department are as old as Ray Franz's time.

You are exactly right - and I had forgotten about this. Almost the legislative versus the executive branch. You get the feeling from Ray Franz book that each tried for attention of the GB and that the service department usually won out. The writing department seems almost to be kept in secret and sort of censured by the prevailing members of the GB. Spooks with typewriters, if you will. The Service Department were the policemen.

And there could, just maybe, be another difference...another thread points out that of the current nine GB members, seven are pretty recent appointees 1995 or later in most cases, none from the 1980s - only Barr and Ted Jarackz go back to the 1970s. Could there be a secret little war between the old guard and the young turks driving some of all this organizational change?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Rivalry sounds intriging and no doubt plays its part in many things, and I'm sure some have waved heavy threat of: we will get you next time! as one side gets a temparary victory over some issue,,that must go on all the time,

• sir82
    sir82

The CO, at a recent visit, went on and on and ON about the vital importance of the Book study.

An MS was being considered for promotion appointment to elder. But he didn't have enough "seasoning". How to get it? Per the CO, assign him to be Book Study Assistant where the Service Overseer currently conducts, thus giving him 1 opportunity per month to teach, shepherd, & lead the group out in field service while the SO visits some other CBS.

Wonderful! And what do we do come January?

Idiots.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Maybe the CO is not in harmony with the GB and feels they should keep having a bookstudy,,it may throw off his whole routine,,or he's mad because the friends will get an extra night off,, and the GB just pyled him with more works on the friends nite off from bookstudy,, anyway he may not even believe the crap he's selling,,it is just a low paying job with no retirement plan so anything that sounds spiritual hell use but not heartfelt,

• dozy
    dozy

I go for the “incompetent” label as well , sad to say.

I don’t see a lot of coherence or strategy from the WTS. I suppose if you have a few old(ish) men without any business experience trying to run a large organisation you are going to have problems. Throw into the mix the fact that they sincerely think that they are God’s channel.

If we assume that much of the current changes are influenced by lawyers and the perceived threat of liability , then nothing much has changed. The GB have always seemed to be very ready to listen to their lawyers and take whatever action they recommend. For example in the UK , the WTS conformed with great zeal to Data Protection legislation , scrapping S8s and going far beyond what was anticipated in the legislation.

I’m assuming that a presentation that insurers were refusing to cover the WTS for potential liability for home bible study groups and an increasing financial burden to look after COs & their wives has triggered the current moves.

Next move : looking ahead , I can foresee a time where Jws sign a written “contract” of sorts with the organisation - something already several churches in the USA have adopted. This would mean that , for example , the witness agrees to abide by the rules of the organisation and that the JW would be bound to be unsuccessful in suing if they were disfellowshipped. It would formalise in writing the two questions asked at the time of baptism and the questions in the OD book.

Speculating here , but what about meetings for service held in private homes? Surely these have to be under threat as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit