How do I find my old friend?

by Fishbulb 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fishbulb
    Fishbulb

A long time ago, well, 1992, Hurricane Andrew hit the Homestead area of southern Florida. Among the relief work, the witnesses jumped in to help, mainly their own. Before I was even baptized I headed down with a group of "brothers" to join in the relief work. It was actually a wonderful experience and the personal reward for helping those in need was something I will never forget. While there I made some fast friends. Dustin, a troubled young brother from Orlando who was not long for he truth, Marlene, a young sister from the Miami area, and Byron a young, adorable brother from Miami.

Years passed and soon things changed. Byron, who set off my pre-self aware gaydar like a bottle rocket called one day to tell me he was gay and being disfellowshipped. I told him that I was fighting gay tendencies too and that I felt bad for him and what he was going through. I told him that I would always be his friend and would always love him and hoped things would work out. He was disfellowshipped.

Later that year I went back to visit Marlene after she got married. It was a nice trip but kind of weird. We all missed Byron. Dustin, up in Orlando was falling on some really tough times and kind of disappeared.

Time:Present day.

I can't get Byron out of my head. I left the organization back in 2005 after coming to terms with my sexuality and the regret of what I may have missed is overwhelming. I wish I had been there for him in a more supportive way, but I was doing what I thought to be right. I regret my moves but want so badly to find Byron even if just to apologize.

If I only have his first and last name, and the region he was in, how do I even begin to find him?

Please help.

• Vita Splash
  • Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Facebook.

Google.

Any other social networking sites you can find.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Try posting in the missed connections on craigslist for his area. The same thing happened to me, sans the gay part, and I posted a short ad in Columbus, OH w/ the title, "Does anyone know First and Last name?" I just wrote a few sentences about who I was, just enough details for people to not think I am a stalker or serial killer, and that I was looking to reconnect. W/in 24 hours someone responded and got me in contact w/ her. Good luck!

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey you...I would recommend Facebook.

I've been out of the JWs for nearly 25 years.

I joined Facebook in 2007. Then one day, I open my Facebook account inbox to discover someone from 26 years ago, was looking for me.

I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!

I'd recommend it: other have, I concur.

Give it a go.

• jamiebowers
  • AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Maybe even www.whitepages.com ???

-Aude.

• holly_golightly
    holly_golightly

That's a really touching story. Good luck finding him!

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

If he has a home phone you can look thru the whitepages thru the internet. Just do a search with what area you think he lives in.

Or call information cost like 50 cents tell them the area code city and name of the person.

I found an old friend of my wifes who went to Ecuador as a missionairy for free thru the internet and they had not spoken for like 10 years.

Now they chat thru the internet quite alot.

If they have a residence or a phone they can be found so don't give up!

Buy some beer or wine and kick back and search on the net alot of times there will be people with the same name but they useually have there age there so if you know about how old they are you are set!

Hope you find your old friend.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

If he's gay, he'll probably show up at JWD sooner rather than later - if he's not here already.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit