The BESTEST present ever! (NOT)

by LDH 45 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

After reading a few threads regarding the upcoming Christmas season, I thought I'd post a funny story, and ask you to add to it.

If you've ever received a wacky present, or one you had to pretend that you liked, please post it.

About 5 years ago, when I first started celebrating Christmas with hubby, I got a real shocker of a present. A Deep Fryer.

Now, hubby was *very* proud of himself. You see, about three months prior to Christmas we were going through Costco (warehouse type store) when I noticed they had a nice little deep fryer. Now, we very rarely if ever eat friend foods (once a month if that.) And it's usually fish--and the fish smell. However, the smell lingers in your house well after the fish is gone.

I made a small comment like, "We should get one of those one day. Then I could put it in the garage and not have the fry smell in the house."

Hubby is quick to point out that "WE DON'T EVEN EAT FRIED FOODS ALL THAT MUCH. Why should we spend $100 on that thing? blah blah blah."

I was like, "Chill out, man. I didn't say I was buying it today. I said it would be nice to have ONE DAY."

Hubby relaxes and we continue through the store.

Deep fryer never mentioned again. Until Christmas morning. When I unwrapped that damn thing I felt like June Cleaver. Hubby had a shit eating grin on his face. He made some comment like, "I was listening when you said you wanted one!" [8>]

My reply was, "If I'd known you were listening for clues, I would have cruised past the jewelry case."

MEN.

• edward gentry
    edward gentry

nice story.
    But a question...
    Why would anyone be grinning about eating shit??

• joelbear
    joelbear

LOL.

Lisa you are too dadburned funny.

Very few people know how to shop for me. Most people buy me such strange stuff.

Last christmas I got a basket with napkins in it that had bears on them, a floating candle with a purple flower in it (I hate purple) a black swan shaped candle holder,etc. etc.

Only Mitch, my mom and a couple of others through the years have actually bought me stuff I wanted.

Joel

• wytchwomyn
    wytchwomyn

Good question...but everyone in North America knows exactly what a "shit eatin' grin" looks like...~W~

• target
    target

I have to just tell my hubby straight out what I want. No hints. Otherwise I will end up with something I will have to sell later at a rummage sale. For him it is always a safe bet to get some sort of power tool. Something with lots of noise. He loves his chain saw.

Target

• Nannygoat
    Nannygoat

Many moons ago when I was married, I told my ex that I wanted some practical kitchen things. (I was thinking counter top appliances.) I got wooden spoons and a cookie sheet, which I already had. So for his birthday the following February, I got him socks and underwear. He got the hint.

Tip to the guys: Jewelry is always a safe bet. So are gift certificates.

Andi

PS: For those of you who don't understand what a s***-eatin' grin is, here is an example:

BTW - to get the right idea you must say "eatin'". Not "eating".

• joelbear
    joelbear

I love to shop (I know that is SOOO gay).

I am great at buying presents, so any males out there who want help, let me know.

Joel

• ISP
    ISP

(((LDH's Hubby)))....we instinctively know what is right!

ISP

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

LOL.. what a topic!

I can top that off though... I was living with my son's father... years ago.... yes that many :) , and the whole family, his whole family that is was up for christmas and opening their gifts... Everyone was watching to see what I got from him... I had a big box and a small box... his cousin had confided to me that she thought the small box was likely a nice piece of jewellery... well, I started with the big box... It was....... building the suspense..... a pair of moon boots... you know the big white snow boots... LOL... Imagine my surprise! I was speachless... there he was, mr. proud... giving his woman something he thought I really needed... I opened the small box... hoping against hope that it would be jewellery... It was the tiniest soap set I ever saw! Yes, soap!
    I simply didn't know what to say! I had bought him a beautful bracelet... sweater and a couple of bottles of imported liquor... nice stuff...
    His family was as agast as I was about it... and chided him the entire day... Great Christmas that turned out to be.. .I imbibed long and hard of the brandy that day. :)

When we broke up, he tried to win my affections by buying me .... get this...... a food processor... yep, that's love in the great white north!

*laughing while recounting this* I knew at that point that the relationship was a no go.... :) actually a never again go....

enjoyed the posts...
    thanks
    Inq

• nelly136
    nelly136

my mother in law always insisted on buying me clothes
    there was always enough room for two of me in each leg
    or/and it was the kind of material that gave itchy and scratchy
    their names.Changing them for something else was fun always fun cos
    theyd have to go back through the discontinued stocks lists.
    I also cant bear overbearing perfumes, I'm an oils or cream perspirant kinda gal, so she'd buy me elizabeth arden stuff that could
    make your eyes water for hours and choke a buffallo at 20 paces.
    my favourite ever present from her was a blueberry bubble bath from
    body shop she'd put in as a stocking filler,
    nelly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit