Hello Atheists......need advice

by wings 36 Replies latest jw friends

• wings
    wings

How do you deal with "no faith"?

What do you put faith in?

How was you transition from belief to non belief?

Does it bother you that others have faith in God, and why?

wings (honest questions, headed there myself)

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hello Wings!

• donny
    donny

I am an Agnostic, but I have a lot of Atheist associates.

• donny
    donny

How do you deal with "no faith"? It was difficult at first, but time has been good and I don't have issues with it no more. What do you put faith in? Myself and my family and a few friends How was you transition from belief to non belief? It was a slow meticulous process. I had been duped once before and I was going to make sure it did not happen again. Does it bother you that others have faith in God, and why? It only bothers me when folks treat their faith as undisputable fact. When I tell believers that I am not one, they often act shocked and want me to prove to them why I don't believe in God. In reality, it is the believers place to prove their assertions. If I told you that I believe in space aliens and that they help guide me and will one day return and
    give me everlasting life, you would look at me strangely (and rightly so) and want me to provide some facts to back it up. But a believer can just substitute God and/or angels for my space aliens and expect me to believe that with no more proof than I have for E.T..

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Hi Wings its not really bad at all, a matter a fact its quite liberating to have no faith, you can analise and take in things at your own pace,

After being indoctrinated into a religion for so long you can now comprehend and understand things in a more balanced and honest way without

the hindrance of programed religious doctrines slamming the door shut and toning down your intellect at the same time.

I'm a personal believer that religions like the JWS stunt inteceual growth and knowledge that can be obtained and put to good use.

Not being a slave to ignorance, fear and corruption is indeed a good feeling and being how most religions degrade and demean woman to a second class individual

I would think that it would be even more liberating.

It comes down to whether you want to live in ignorance or you want to live in wisdom, I preferred the latter and have been happy with that decision for a long time.

Take care Wings

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Despite commenting on lots of spiritual threads, I am an atheist in the sense that I don't believe there is an intelligent omnipotent "god" interested in my spiritual well being.

Spirituality for me is tapping in to the deep subconscious of self/humanity. There is a vast mine of human past present future experience that I believe we can tap into.

So I have faith in myself.

Thank you C G Jung

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Hi wings, the realization that my childhood concept of "God" was necessarily all wrong was a difficult process, as I too wondered what, if anything, I could now find to believe in.

It's still rather fresh for me, being out of the Borg only two years and an avowed agnostic for less, but for now I'm going for "enlightenment." We'll see how it goes.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

How do you deal with "no faith"? What's to deal with? No God, no pressure, no restrictions based on tribal life. I just treat people as I want to be treated, that axiom doesn't need a God. What do you put faith in? Yoko and me. How was you transition from belief to non belief? Pretty easy really. Couldn't make sense without it. Does it bother you that others have faith in God, and why? Only when they try to stack the God on my head or in my pants. wings (honest questions, headed there myself) Good luck. W.Once

• Gopher
    Gopher

Wings,

If you're so inclined, what helps the transition to non-belief is the "taking in of accurate knowledge" -- not of a sky daddy and a claimed savior, but of science and reason.

Certain websites may help you get started:

American Atheists: http://www.atheists.org/ -- the sections on "atheism" and "coming out" are interesting.

I found it interesting to meet with the local group a few times. If you click on the "Local Groups" link, and scroll down towards the bottom, you can find one near you. They usually meet once a month to discuss a given topic.

To learn how to support the movement to help make American government religion-neutral, visit this site: http://www.ffrf.org/

One more site: http://www.secularhumanism.org/

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

How do you deal with "no faith"? I don't have faith in religions and doctrine. Seems a little lazy to me, to just say "I believe." I am comfortable with the idea that the universe is huge beyond our understanding and a lot is going on that we may never know anything about. Maybe someone/something is running the universe, we'll never know. What do you put faith in? Faith is belief without evidence, as far as I can see. In that sense, I don't put faith in anything. I like to have some explanations, some facts, some science before I'll believe things. How was you transition from belief to non belief? Easy, like waking up. Does it bother you that others have faith in God, and why? Only when they are smug and sanctimonious and superior and determined to prove I am wrong. I don't have anything to prove. I'm busy living.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit