Trading Hierarchies

by almostbitten 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

The sola scriptura idea is a protestant invention. It's rather funny, once you realize that the catholic church decided what went into the bible, at least the nt.

Catholicism is a descendent of the pauline line of christianity. The purely jesusian teachings were just too limited for a fullfledged church to function on. Perhaps, that is why the apostles basically sat around and wrote nothing until paul appeared in the picture. Maybe the whole thing was a pauline invention, which he based on folklore and distilled into a coherent narrative.

S

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    • Did Christ make God accessible to all believers through his death versus needing a high priest to stand in the gap? • Holy Spirit and the individual believer vs. Holy spirit available to one authoritative person who leads another group (not discounting leadership in itself) • The idea of purgatory (it's not biblical, I doubt it's from Babylon, but where did the idea spring up?) • Role of saints and Mary in personal salvation vs. Jesus, mediator between man and God. • Church's overall stance on celibacy of priests (which has changed back and forth over the years). • Should the church base everthing on "sola scriptura"? or should there be an hierarchy to make a judgement call given that times and circumstances of the church change? • What Catholic forums are available online to the public about these and other issues if not addressed at this point and time so readers can get information on their own time.

http://forums.catholic.com/ And this one is run by Jeff Schwehm, a fellow poster here on JWD: http://catholicxjw.proboards55.com/index.cgi BTS

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Dear St. Ann... when you say that one is sanctioned by (G)od and one is not, I agree with you, for the simple reason that JWs allow no deviations from their dogma at all. But I have to ask you, do you personally believe that Catholicism is the ONLY one sanctioned by (G)od?

I ask you this because as Satanus has just pointed out, it was the Catholic church who decided which scrolls were "worthy", i.e. HOLY and what would make up the definitive BIBLE and what did not. But... at which point was it the Bible? And which Pope was RIGHT... because the Bible DID change... several times.

Personally, I am a reader of the Apocrypha, and I consider it every single bit as Holy as the "Bible" that was chosen by the Pope. Do you disagree?

Love,
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit