Trading Hierarchies

by almostbitten 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

This is closely related to a topic that's already been presented here by someone else, but I felt that I had to post this because I wanted a more detailed answer to a question I raised on the post:

When a person who is JW converts to the RCC, or vice versa, isn't this essentially trading hierarchies?

If so, does this have to do with that person's true belief or is it ingrained into them that they have to have their beliefs or God's Word filtered down to them through a chain of command? Think about it. How does the GB of the WTS differ all that much from the Pope of the RCC? Wouldn't both be perceived as the FDS, although RCs don't really use that terminology?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I agree, AlmostBitten!

I replied to your comment on the other thread, but I will paste it again here:

AlmostBitten said, "I'm a non-Witness, and yes, I have more than noticed that the WTS definitely spews against the RCC more than anything. I know of some former RCs who eventually converted to being JWs (one woman told me that it was because the name Jehovah
    The trading of one hierarchy for another."

BRAVO! You are so right about that! I have to say that after all those years of being out of the Witnesses, it only dawned on me within the last couple of years that the Governing Body is just a Pope with several heads.

~Baba.

• yknot
    yknot

More or less.........

Ditto the Mormons too!

• Satanus
    Satanus

In form, there are some similarities. However, quality and freedom are the huge differences. For instance, the rcc has a LOT of resources available to not just members, but to outsiders, as well. Also, a catholic can do almost anything he/she wants, and still remain a member. The wt dinegrates them by labelling them nominal catholics. But, the wt lacks a fundamental understanding of the nature of the church. You see, much of the church believes that there are other ways to god, than merely the rcc. This concept coming from a catholic confounds a jw.

S

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

Thanks Baba and Yknot. I was beginning to think this point was lost on most people. LOL at a "Pope with several heads." Sounds like the beast in Revelations, huh?

hmmmmm.....

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

yknot, I may study with the Mormons next just to see what bag they are coming out of

Satanus, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here: SHOULD a [catholic] do almost anything he/she wants and still remain a member?

• Satanus
    Satanus

'SHOULD a [catholic] do almost anything he/she wants and still remain a member?'

Who are we to set standards for relations between the rcc members and their church? The wt does that continuously, as if it's standards should be applied universally. The rcc has been operating for centuries before the wt was even a twinkle in the 'judge's' eye. It has reached a sort of equalibrium within the environment of the planet. The wt has yet to attain any sort of stability. The cognitive dissonence among jws is much more acute that it is among catholics.

S

• yknot
    yknot

ooohh.....ask them what planet God lives on ((kolob))........then correct them and tell them they are silly Mormons because everyone knows God lived near Pleiades until 1953!

Seriously though....most of my Mormon friends (women) are SDA converts.......my goodness the things we make fun of together!

Maybe the WTS, SDA, & LDS should morph together......

• yknot
    yknot

Oh I can explain.......their conversions........I just have to look at their husbands!

Seriously though one of the other reasons was that the Mormons are better organized and offer more community activities (read- whole package lifestyle)......but mostly it was some nice abs, cute butt, and toned all over apperance of their husbands....who also are very dedicated to their families.

It would be interesting to compare the Mormon Celestial beginings with Scientology's

• Satanus
    Satanus

Some people never really leave bible style belief behind. They need structure, a system to explain existence and to guide them. Like animals raised inside a cage, they cannot willingly leave it. It represents security. The outside represents chaos, risk, emptiness, a huge wieght of selfresponsibility on their shoulders. Many people can't handle it, at least not right away.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit