Clothing in the New Order

by donny 24 Replies latest jw friends

• gymbob
    gymbob

Like Blondie, I asked this question a number of times when I was still in "Da Troof".

This may sound a little weird, but, most of the people I spoke with on this subject either said: A) That's speculation, and we shouldn't do that. B) We wear clothing to cover shame and embarrassment, both of which are sins, and if we are not sinful we obviously won't need clothing. C) Of course we'll have clothing. (Most of those answering "C" had bodies nobody would ever want to see naked). Gymbob

• amama2six
    amama2six

Sorry AGuest, for thinking it was from JW teachings. I've been out for many years, I figured something had changed/been added/whatever as tends to happen.

I can't say I like the thought of my "genital parts" disappearing, though. Guess I'll cross that bridge when/if I get to it. :P

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

yes nakedness rules

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

Gymbob, puulleezzze! You should have popped whoever said that was speculation in the mouth! If you closely read the WT literature, they do more than a little speculating--in leaps and bounds!

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

I had once an interesting experience with 3 german elders. They invited me to the sauna. In germany, most saunas are mixed and the unwritten rule is that you 'have to be naked'. Shorts, swimwear, underwear, etc. is not allowed. Only a big towel, to impede direct skin contact with the wood.

We were in the locker room and suddenly a fully naked lady walked through to get to the open sauna area. She had absolutely nothing on (at the point neither did I). Immediately I looked at the 3 elders, they just smiled. We then went into the open sauna area (this was a big place with several saunas, you could go from one to the other or go to the different pools) where everybody was only equipped with a towel. A lot of them carried it on their shoulders. For them, including the elders, it was the most normal situation. I, having recently moved to germany from the states, was more than a little surprised and questioned them about the appropriateness ofbeing there. They said, this is sauna and this is the way it works. Do not worry.

Inside the saunas, everybody dropped the towels, and sat there, men and women, young and old, beautiful bodies and ugly ones, families and singles. I even had a conversation inside the sauna with a family, just like you do during little league with other spectators... nobody seemed to care about nakedness. For me it was a definitely liberating experience. You are probably thinking that it was a naturist club or something, well, it obviously was, but it was not advertised as such. It was just a big sauna! And most gyms offer exactly the same experience if you go to the sauna (except when they offer women's day or something).

My point? Nakedness varies by culture, and I am not talking about indigenous people in the amazon. It's like when Janet Jackson's dress malfunctioned, some of the news anchors in germany had to laugh on camera after presenting the news, wondering why such a big deal was being made in the states about it...

Vivalavida

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit