smoking in uk?

by John Doe 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Why? Why shouldn't the employees of small businesses get the same protection as other employees?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Teabags? They use teabags in the UK?

I was under the impression that they only used loose tea, and teabags was an american thing.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Employees have the option to work elsewhere, they also can say, "hey please don't smoke around me". This is the whole reason our country was founded. We didn't want the King of England getting all up in our business. I feel the same way about restaurants being forced to be non smoking. I don't smoke, but you know what I can always go to a restaurant that caters to me if I don't like smokers around when I am eating. That simple. Who was this guy hurting again??

• james_woods
    james_woods

I really am pretty surprised at how strict English laws have gotten since I was last there in about 1996 or 1997.

On my Ferrari board, a lot of the owners are outraged by the escalation of the daily traffic charges to drive into London - it seems they wanted to charge expensive cars 4 times the normal rate.

Not only that and the smoking minutia, but that other post on some young guy getting arrested for having a protest sign that Scientology was a Cult - got him for hate speech IIRC.

I hope this kind of stuff eventually gets moderated back down to a reasonable dull roar.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Ok, maybe I was misunderstood. Maybe not and we just disagree.

If you let the gov take care of YOUR minor issues. (who smokes around me, who farts around me, who can say what words around me etc ad infin) then it is just a matter of time before they start incursions into other parts of life. (databases, loss of the Great Writ ad infin)

So its not really a small matter then is it? Sure, its easier to have a law that states YOU CANNOT DO THIS WITHOUT SANCTION. But when you allow the gov to take care of small private matters for you, it is only natural for gov to take care of other things for you. Give up a minor freedom (the freedom to tell/make someone not smoke around you) give up a major freedom along with it.

If people cant/wont take care of themselves, the gov will sure as hell step in and do it for them. It is an open door to a database or the loss of the Great Writ.

PROTECT ME!!! PLEASE PROTECT ME!!! I AM A CHILD OF NO MEANS!!

• Satanus
    Satanus

The point is, you've got a nice friendly fascist fist inside a soft fluffy politically correct glove lightly smashing people. Or, is that a latex glove? At any rate, the british are getting F9*&^^d.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit