I am looking for the best granite countertops

by asilentone 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JK666
    JK666

Oh My!

This topic makes my butt pucker.

May that be the largest problem in your life.

JK

• StAnn
    StAnn
    Ours are finished so they are stain resistant...and as long as you avoid products that contain ammonia on them, they won't have to be refinished for years and years and years.

I have a small kitchen. Normally, I wouldn't even consider granite because of the expense but, since my kitchen is small, I can probably get leftovers from someone else's slab, which will make it affordable. My hesitation has been maintenance. So, if ammonia is a problem, if I clean my windows and microwave, glass front cabinet doors, etc., with Windex (an ammonia based product), will the overspray or any dripping damage my granite countertops?

StAnn

• Quandry
    Quandry

JK

This topic makes my butt pucker.

May that be the largest problem in your life.

I am sorry to hear about YOUR problem.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Have you looked into soapstone counters?

Done by a craftsman, they can be very attractive and durable.

They don't need to be sealed.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I mean, I pay about $20 for a case of Fosters Lager and that equates to 190 cases of beer vs. a piece of granite. Let's put it this way, we're drinking Fosters tonite. Well, Rub a Dub, how much do you appreciate your wife? Not as much, it seems, as your money or beer.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I have had granite placed in two homes of mine and I must say they are awesome, although they can be expensive. The only drawback is the very hard surface. Getting accustomed to it, I must have broken a few dishes in the kitchen. I have had granite in the bathroom and had no issues at all. Other than the very hard surface, I highly recommend it. Do a search and see if there are any granite outlets and you can possibly get a good deal.

• anewme
    anewme

Ooooh, Fun topic!
    My husband and I just made an offer on a little home with a darling kitchen with dark granite counter tops and island. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!!!

I hope we get this house.

Anewme needs some joy in her life after what the mean old Witchtower did to her!

• Satanus
    Satanus

The cheaper route is to get the real granite tiles, 12"x12". Cheaper and MUCH easier and cheaper to install. 'Course, it ain't the best, as you asked for...

S

• FlipThis
  • amicus
    amicus

Anyone choosing to purchase granite countertops really needs to read about the uranium/granite relationship.

It's interesting that the Chinese government considers many of the granite slabs produced in China to be too harmful to be actually used in China. Those are exported.

I personally think adults should have the right to expose themselves to the hazards granite in a home might pose. I'd certainly hope that anyone with children would choose a safer solution.

The quatrz countertops really look interesting as an option. Quartz is much harder than granite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit