Algebra question....help please ASAP....any math wiz out there?

by FreedomFrog 17 Replies latest jw friends

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    systems of inequalities

x+y=56 is not an inequality so I really don't think that's what they're looking for... but there just seems to be some significant information missing from the problem if that's not it.

Jackie

• VM44
    VM44

"x + y = 56" is known as a "constraint".

A further constraint is that variables x and y must be integers.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

The equation of a line is y= mx+c... c = y intercept, m is slope....

The example problem should be a simple line linear equation I believe. So if there are 0 houses with floor plan 1, then y should start at 56, x = 0 and vice versa x = 56, y = 0, I think she may be looking for that....

So in this case the equation for this problem y = -x + c. There would be a negative slope of 1... Each point on the line should satisfy x+y = 56.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

This gives me ideas on what I might need to do. So, back to work for me....I may not check in for a while because I tend to get zoned in my work and forget the time...lol I've got 5 hours to figure this out.

Jackie, that's what we're working on but I do believe that it could be that simple just to build on the rest of the problems. I'm going to work with all the suggestions given here and see which one works out.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

According to what you wrote, as many have said, it would be

x + y = 56

Which, as you said, is an equation.

The further information you gave indicates that this problem is simply one
    part of a potentially larger problem.

This is what is known as a CONSTRAINT. There can be equations (solid lines)
    as well as inequalities (dotted lines) to represent constraining conditions.

The confusion came in when you did not realize that they are not asking you
    to solve the whole problem, just to come up with the algebraic equation
    to represent the particular constraint situation that two different plans add
    up to a certain amount of houses.

• MsMcDucket
  • blondie
    blondie

A search on Google:

x + y = 56

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Oh thank you, thank you MsMcDucket...the link is just what I needed. As I'm doing the other problems, they are using most of the methods stated on the link. My Algebra is so frustrating because half the time they don't explain how they got a certain answer and expects you to "get it".

A big THANK YOU to all who responded The information did help. I'm half way through my problems now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit