Algebra question....help please ASAP....any math wiz out there?

by FreedomFrog 17 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

My problem:

"The sales representative informs you that there are two floor plans still available, and that there are a total of 56 houses available. Use x to prepresent floor plan #1 and y to represent floor plan #2. Write an equation that illustrates the situation."

I can't, for the life of me remember how to make this into an equation and I have many more questions that rely on this answer. How do I do this? Anyone know?

UGH! I'm exhausted with algebra!!! I'm in my 8th week and my brain is literally shutting down, I kid you not!

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

I'm might be simplfying this, but would it not be x + y = 56? x= houses with floor plan 1 and y = houses with floor plan 2... total houses = 56...

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I don't really know what chapter or anything you're working on... I'm going to assume that the problem is trying to say there are a total of 56 houses left and there are two types of floor plans. So, I would go with x + y = 56.

Jackie

• Priest73
    Priest73

I'd just take some x, then ask y I gave a poop, then plan on being on the floor for a while.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

That just seems too simple....hmmm, my brain hurts.

All day I've been working with things like 3x -2 < 5x +y which has been taking a lot of brain cells...

but you may be right, let me look over my paper again and see if it fits.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I agree, it seems really simple... but with the information given it's all I can come up with. If you could give a better idea of what area, specifically, you're working on in algebra it might help.

Jackie

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I think it's confusing you because she didn't give you a number for x or y. For instance the owner has 56 houses, floor plan x=5 plans, solve for y.

5x + y=56

x + y=56 -5

y=56 - 5

y=51

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

This week we're doing intercepts and systems of inequalities

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

She doesn't want you to solve it. Just *write* out the equation. (I told y'all that I type phonetically. It's going to be the death of me!)

• VM44
    VM44

x + y = 56

But remember that there is no "zero year"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit