Twilight Zone "On Thursday We Leave For Home" Parallels

by neverendingjourney 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I’m a fan of the original Twilight Zone television series. I recently saw an episode entitled “On Thursday we Leave for Home,” and it dawned on me that it had some interesting parallels regarding why a lot of Witnesses never leave the religion even when it starts to become clear that it’s not “the truth.” Of course, these shows presented short moral lessons and different people can find different morals in them, but I digress.

In short, the episode deals with a space colony on a far away planet. The people have been stranded there for 30 years. The planet’s heat is oppressive and resources are scarce. The leader of the group is a man whom the colonists refer to as “Captain” Banteen. He rules over them with an iron fist keeping discipline when the residents have all but given up hope. He keeps their spirits up by telling them stories of Earth. All of the young colonists have never been on Earth and many of the middle-aged colonists barely remember it. The hope of being rescued and living a normal life on Earth provides the colonists the hope they need to continue living and Banteen insures that the residents don’t get out of line by his strict discipline.

Finally a ship arrives from Earth to rescue them. The colonists are elated and the ship is set to leave for Earth on Thursday. Slowly we begin to see Benteen’s demeanor change. He realizes that there is no more reason for the colonists to follow his every instruction. A game of baseball breaks out during the day and Banteen orders the colonists back to their homes, purportedly because he’s concerned for their health (the temperature was said to be well above 100 degrees). The rescuers are notably disturbed by Banteen’s antics, but they let him get away with it. Banteen then calls a meeting telling the colonists that they are not prepared to live by themselves on Earth and that upon arrival things will remain as is. They will have their own community with Banteen as their leader. His description of Earth noticeably begins to change and he describes it as a world full of dangers. The colonists, however, do not go along with his plan.

On Thursday, their departure date, he tells the colonists that they are not to board the ship because they are better off on the colony than on Earth, but the colonists refuse to go along with his orders. Finally, despite the rescuers pleas, Banteen refuses to get on board. Banteen is seen walking around as if he’s still in charge of the colony and his people are still there. He gets on top of a rock, as was his custom, to hold a meeting—but there is nobody there to listen to him. The thought of losing his power, his very purpose for existence, despite the fact that his living conditions would improve dramatically, was too much for him to bear.

From my experience, many Witnesses suffer from this same Banteen sickness. They get stuck in a routine believing they are important people, partakers in the greatest movement in world history. They fancy themselves modern-day Noahs taking the lead in a worldwide, lifesaving preaching work. They look at themselves as special people, one of only a very small, select group of people who will make it alive out of Armageddon, but when the facts and inconsistencies begin to pile up and they’re forced to realize that their conception themselves and their religion is false, many simply do not have it in them to give up their fantasy. They are too used to the routine, to the sense of power and entitlement that comes along with being a Witness. They’d rather lead a meager life of obedience as long as they are able to continue with their delusions of being important people. This is especially true with respect to elders and other “higher ups” who actually have direct control over large groups of people. The thought of giving up being an influential person with control over dozens, if not hundreds, of people is too high a price for them to pay. They’d rather continue in their routine than face the facts, even though facing the facts would liberate them from the Watchtower’s oppression and allow them to lead a better life.

Anyone else out there a fan of the show?

Here are the links to the episode in case anyone is interested. It’s one of a handful of one-hour episodes that aired. These are YouTube links, so who knows how long they’ll be functional before they’re removed.

*Edit [I removed the links. The video can be found on YouTube, but for some reason the links as posted don't work]

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you, I had forgotten about that episode. Love the Twilight Zone.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Good analogy.

After a recent WT study re. the amount of hard work and study (they sure make a lot of 'new scrolls' being opened, don't they?) we'll need to do in paradise, a sister commented to me that it makes you wonder if you even want to be there.

For years we've been told that all of the sacrifices we make in this system - not being able to learn to play an instrument (takes too much time), not getting a better education (takes too much time), not having jobs that fulfill us (too distracting), not pursuing hobbies that fulfill us (takes too much time) - it will all be more than made up for in the paradise (God is stretching out his hand and satisfying the desires of every living thing).

Yet the closer we get to the centennial year of Christ's invisible presence, the less appealing paradise is beginning to sound.

• millions now living are dead
    millions now living are dead

During my fade, I saw this episode and it had a major impact on me. I too saw the parallels. Such wisdom packed in a little show. Also, Truman Show was a biggie for me. I was banging on the sky colored wall.

Mil

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Yes, I remember that episode too. I don't recall seeing JW parallels at the time (just as I didn't at the time with some of the films we talk about) but something struck home with me because I remember it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have seen that show. It is familiar to me.

They get stuck in a routine believing they are important people, partakers in the greatest movement in world history. They fancy themselves modern-day Noahs taking the lead in a worldwide, lifesaving preaching work.

Let's be clear about the elders, too. Many of them are not business giants. Many are not
    climbing any status ladder anywhere outside of the JW's. It's a real big ego boost to them
    to "help" the members by chastising or reproving them. Not many window washers get to
    do that.

The thought of giving up being an influential person with control over dozens, if not hundreds, of people is too high a price for them to pay. They’d rather continue in their routine than face the facts, even though facing the facts would liberate them from the Watchtower’s oppression and allow them to lead a better life.

It's a much better life. I hope more of them find out.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

It's a real big ego boost to them
    to "help" the members by chastising or reproving them. Not many window washers get to
    do that.

Isn't that the truth? I remember a situation that popped up in our congregation years ago. There was a "fringe" JW family who was full of problems. The mother was the only one who showed up to the meetings with any regularity. They had a bunch of kids, maybe six or seven of them. At the time the kids' ages ranged from adolescence to mid/late 20s. Their youngest was a 14 or 15 year old boy who did not seem to be all there, if you know what I mean. He clearly had mental problems of some sort. He was antisocial and constantly got in trouble in school. He was the type of kid that just gave you a bad vibe when he was around.

At the same time there was the overzealous elder in our congregation who seemingly got involved in every problem that arose. The elder was in his late 20s, but he had a family of his own by then. To make a long story short, rumors began to surface that this kid was demon-possessed, rumors which this elder later confirmed to me. The elder told me to be careful around that kid because he and another elder had in fact confirmed that the kid was possessed. He said they went to talk to the family and the kid told them he heard voices telling him to kill his mother.

The sad thing is that this kid was most likely suffering from serious mental problems, probably schizophrenia, and here were two construction workers (one of whom was barely literate) giving the family counsel on how to deal with the situation! For the life of me, I can't understand how these people didn't rush the kid out immediately to the nearest hospital for treatment, but of course, what could be better to treat his problem than the Bible! That’s the kind of power and influence that keeps many JWs around. They won’t ever be in that kind of position of authority anywhere else.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Yet the closer we get to the centennial year of Christ's invisible presence, the less appealing paradise is beginning to sound.

There wouldn't be enough Zoloft on the planet for all of us. Seriously, though, after the luster of being a brand-new, idealistic Witness wore off, life as a JW was hell. I was constantly worrying about my personal failures and not being able to live up to Watchtower standards. The constant hypocrisy and not being able to speak out about it just got to me. It's no wonder that half the congregation seemed depressed. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to live forever, but life in a JW paradise world would not be very appealing at all.

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

It's rich man's syndrome. A lot of us would love to be rich, myself included. But after you buy everything that you want what else is your money doing? I think people won't accept this programming where they wouldn't want for anything. To become perfect is to become bored with life. It's like using a cheat device on a video game. You get up and plant food, tend to your house and family, and then what? There's no need for jobs, no need for money. No need to take a vacation because everything is the same. F--k the paradise, let me sleep.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

neverendingjourney: They’d rather lead a meager life of obedience as long as they are able to continue with their delusions of being important people.

Great analysis!

Loved the series. Rod Serling was the man!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit