Why is something, anything, too "far fetched?"

by feenx 13 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think it is good to test all the theories, hypothesisis and possibilities to try to figure out and describe this experience that we are having here on earth.

The more observable, and recordable anything is the more it can be tested by science and understood.

• sullengirl0108
    sullengirl0108

I do not consider myself a person of science or philosophy. However, I am a great observer. LOOK UP. It is gigantic. It is so big that our puny little brains can't even comprehend it's vastness. What makes us think that we are alone? Is it the WT that convinces us that they have a hold on the great cosmos? REALLY?

• milligal
    milligal

I also agree with the thought that we do not know or understand everything that is 'out there' whether you are referring to ghosts or UFO's. Who are we to say? Now I wouldn't go bringing up those topics on a job interview....although many people believe in those things or the possibility of those things existing, most of them want to do so in the privacy of their homes....

• Terry
    Terry
    LOOK UP. It is gigantic. It is so big that our puny little brains can't even comprehend it's vastness. What makes us think that we are alone? Is it the WT that convinces us that they have a hold on the great cosmos? REALLY?

It is sometimes easy to fall into a logical fallacy in our thinking. The one I have in mind is the Fallacy of the Argument from Ignorance.

In other words, what we DON'T know convinces us of something.

Our mind uses the same approach to understanding the vast universe as a kid does in eating an extra-large pizza. ONE bite at a time.

We've made enormous progress in 7,000 years.

We went from tribes of wandering nomads living by campfire to sprawling cities lit by electricity.

We went from staring gape-jawed up at the orb hanging in space to driving a dunebuggy on the surface of the moon.

Mankind did it one step at a time fighting the ignorance and superstition with tested facts and accumulated data.

Being awed by the unfathomable is a natural reaction to vast and profound mysteries. But, we can't stop at the awe and switch our focus from testing, measuring and accumulating data to simply wallowing in our imaginations. Imagination is wonderful, but, it isn't our source of knowledge; only the incubator of possibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit