Next step- I said goodbye to my best friend- and she was terrified of me!

by New light for you 24 Replies latest jw friends

• New light for you
    New light for you

So the next step i realized after meeting with the elders monday night was to say some "goodbyes" while i'm still able to. Now, the elders kept "wanting" me to "fade" . .. again, many people are telling me that they might be nice, but when they report back to the whole body, they could decide something else. I realized as for now, they actually said for me to get in contact with some of my friends ( i think they wanted to use it as a way to keep me in) so I figured while i have the "approval" stamp on my head it would be the perfect time to say some necessary goodbyes.

I picked my closest friend. She hasn't talked to me since i had the bad phone call with my other best friend. I showed up, she was SOOO scared, i immediately felt worse for her than myself. She wasn't even going to let me in.. i asked if we could talk for a minute.. she was very shaken and scared. When i came in right away i told her a bout the the elder meeting and that i had the "stamp" on my head, so please dont be so scared. She told me about how her husband (a MS) told her to never talk to me again, because if i'm into "apostate stuff" then i'm sinning against the holy spirit and thats unforgivible. She also right away said she was upset cuz obviously wasn't being honest with her before about my feelings- so i had to explain how you really cant talk about doubts, i didn't want to scare her, i wanted to "talk to the elders" ( i can say now that i wanted to , since i DID for 2 hours monday night) She kept saying she wanted to talk to me, but didn't want to damage her spirituality.. so she didn't know what to do. I put her at ease saying i had NO intention of discussing any of my issues with her.

Then i told her the whole point of me coming there was to tell her how much i loved her, how much i enjoyed being her friend over the last 7 years. How i would never have taken back a minute of that time. She had been my true sister and i loved her. So we were both tearing up, she told me how much she loved me and had felt over the last month like she was losing a sister too.

It went on a bit, she kept trying to ask where i was looking at information, telling me to not let my "apostate" husband influence me... that now she was sacared cuz if i wasn't in the truth where would my boundaries be? She actaully said, before i knew how you felt about everything, about raising the kids, morals etc. but now, I have no idea what you will want to do , what limits you'll have.... and this was SOOO scarey to her. I realized she was trying to talk herself thru being my friend even if i dont go to meetings, and i know that it's not gonna happen, i'm way out of the truth and not going back.

So i let her know that this was probably a "good-bye" conversation, and we both agreed that this was a much better way to do it. This way if we meet somewhere accidentally, we have all this laid out and it wont be as strange... as long as i dont get DFed.....

I need a drink... a strong one... I actually went to my other best girlfriends house right after,.. the one that started all this, but again, i just wanted to tell her in respect of our friendship i would like to say i love her and goodbye... but she wasn't home.

.......gotta get a strong one now........ i'm on a roll.......

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

It’s a strange feeling when you have to say goodbye to someone who you have been friends with for years, and have no real reason to be saying goodbye apart from a new way of thinking.

I had something similar earlier this year (although I didn’t tell my friend I loved him). He needed faith and knew I was a threat to it. Sad when religion comes between old friends.

Edit to add:

A big well done by the way. Hope your not feeling too drained after it all.........

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Oh!! I'm so with you on this ride. It takes real strength of character to stand on your own convictions and not just those of your family, friends, spouse, religion.

I wonder if presenting them with something personal like: "What is a woman really supposed to do when faced with ... Doesn't there come a time when we cannot hide behind the skirts of the elders or our parents and have to make gut-wrenching decisions for things that we know in our gut to be right (or wrong). What do we do then? Who do we talk to? I've already taken it up in private prayer and the elders but still I'm having a crisis of conscience by keeping silent about ... in the org. Seriously, I'm not turning my back on Jehovah. I'm leaning on him to help pull me through but [the elders] seem intent on pushing me away."

Something along those lines imploring them to think realistically and put themselves in your position.

Wasn't there an example in Moses time where the individuals tries to hide behind the skirts of the priests by saying that the priests said it was OK to worship Baal? (I may have the details wrong...) Something about personal responsibility was the lesson. We cannot hide behind our leaders when it comes to basic human responsibility.

I wish you well in your journey and firmly believe that you will find a much more fulfilling life outside the confines of the WTS.

-Aude.

• lavendar
    lavendar

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your good friend, New Light. You spoke volumns to her with the love you showed. "The greatest is love".

Sure sign of a cult; when you leave the group....and everyone in that group is prevented from associating with you! That's beyond sad!

• changeling
    changeling

I'm glad you were able to do what you felt you had to do. Hopefully the BOE will go along with the two elders that visited you and you can just "fade off into the sunset".

changeling :)

• New light for you
    New light for you

Aude...

I think you triggered something with me... There is MUCH to be said for us being able to sit down, talk about our friendship, and say goodbye... NOT hiding behind "my husband told me not to talk to you" or "the elders said this"... just being the 2 of us, like i'ts been for 7 years.

You're right. it made us PEOPLE and showed RESPECT for one another instead of letting the stupid clut run the show... though the whole reason we have to have this conversation is because of the stupid cult... but yet... we were on our own as human beings.

I cant tell you how glad i am that i did this. i know i'll NEVER regret it. I plan to go around to anyone i can say goodbye to ... it's not worth trying to "plant seeds of doubt" or "getting them to think"... just a loving goodbye. thats all that matters right now.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    she was sacared cuz if i wasn't in the truth where would my boundaries be? She actaully said, before i knew how you felt about everything, about raising the kids, morals etc. but now, I have no idea what you will want to do , what limits you'll have.... and this was SOOO scarey to her

This kinda pisses me off. What kind of person does she think you'll be.? You are the same person as before.

lisa

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Dang NewLight - you're on a mission. Its sad that you have to do this, but also good that you did. They'll be portraying you as satan possesed and bitter. Your friend got to see that that's not true.

They really do think that everyone outside there club has no idea of morals at all. It's CRAZY!

My best friend was over for a visit last winter. On the last day of his visit I took him to a pub, had some beers, and said my good-byes. It was very emotional. In the end he said that he would never shun me, that we're family. This meant the world to me. Him and his wife are on a fade now as well. He was afraid of telling me about his situation. You never know until you ask.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

glad you had that time with her.

purps

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Another thought. Maybe leave them with clear understanding that you are *not* leaving them and that your door is always open to them. You will never, ever shun them.

If they choose do to any shunning, it's on them and them alone. Somehow in the twisted cult-think - and your friends are already expressing it - they equate not attending the KH with leaving Jehovah and all moral fiber behind. Nothing could be further from the truth in many, many cases of fading.

Sounds like you have golden opportunity to let your friends know these few details without necessarily imposing your specific 'doubts' on them. Help them feel safe that you are not there to damage their own [sense of] spirituality, just wanting to reassure them of your love and respect.

Saying the 'good-byes' may come off that you are infact deciding to turn against the org and Jehovah. Explaining the situation yourself may help them to think a little deeper.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit