Survival of Human Consciousness Beyond Death

by Rapunzel 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Roski
    Roski

As far as I know only Taiwan has Ghost Month, but I would assume it has connections to mainland China - perhaps just some particular part of it. The rest of Asia doesn't, that I know of. I do know that popular ghost stories (comic books) often have illustrations similar to those facial features that you described. The book - 'The Way of the Sharman' gives a good overview of the belief system that underpins many traditional cultures, regardless of whether they claim to be christian or not. Those culturally embedded ideas go very deep and are the basis of people's world view in many ways that are not always obvious on the surface.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Hi Roski - As I have never visited nor lived in China, I really could not say at all if there is any connection, in regard to "Ghost Month," between the rites celebrated in Taiwan and those that might be celebrated in China. I do know that people on each side of the straight participate in the Matsu [the goddess of the sea] cult. In regard to Matsu, there is a strong connection between the people living in Taiwan and those living in Fujian province, China [which is the ancestral home of many Taiwanese]. The cult of Matsu seems to be the only thing, or one of the few things, which transcends all of the political issues dividing the two places

As far as Ghost Month, I am not certain, but I believe that it is unique to Taiwan. I believe that it represents a fusion of Taoist beliefs and the local "folk religions." I believe that the rites are associated with certain strains of Taoist thought, as opposed to Buddhism.

• startingover
    startingover

I want to thank those participating in this thread. It's refreshing to see this subject examined rationally. Usually the jump is immediately made to the existance of supernatural beings. There are so many possibile explanations and it's nice to see those that had them conclude that they just don't know the answer.

• Casper
    Casper

Startingover,

I for one, "Thank You", for not being judgemental and allowing others to wonder or rationalize their experiences...

That in itself, is "Refreshing".

Sincerely,

Cas

• Casper
    Casper

Rapunzel,

When I tell doctors about it, they ask me: "How the hell did you manage that, on a motorcycle?' And my answer is always - I really don't know

I am speechless...!!!!

You have certainly led an intense life...

Cas

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Casper - The only thing that I can say is - "You inspire me [for the good] Seriously though, I have always been very cautious and hesitant about sharing personal details of my biography on this forum. I am sure that you can "relate" to my notion. In spite of this reluctance, I figure, "What the hell, why not post it. It's the truth; and maybe someone can shed "new light" [pun intended] on the experiences that I relate. Having "kissed" the face of death on several occasions during my life, I ask myself - "What can be worse than that?" So, as they say, here goes nothing [or was it something?]

First of all, guess what? Big news. The following experience that I am about to relate did NOT happen in Taiwan. It happened many many moons ago when I was young, and the dinosaurs had just become extinct. It happened when I was in high school [1971 - 1975, before the "Charlie's Angels" t.v. program and before "New Coke" and the "cola wars." We just had plain old "old Coke then]. Because my family was/is Roman Catholic, my parents sacrificed a lot and made damn sure that I had a Roman Catholic education from the third grade until I graduated high school. I first went to Taiwan in the late summer of 1991, so what I describe bellow happened some 15 to 20 years before I ever set foot on the island of Taiwan.

The experience that I relate happened during a period of my life when I was using a Ouija board [Yes, the following story is one of those stories, a Ouija board story!] You have, almost without a doubt, read or heard of Ouija boards and the stories that surround these boards with their planchettes. Perhaps you have used one yorself. Perhaps you have an odd - truly inexplicable - experience while using them.

My odd experience was both frightening and utterly banal at the same time.

I don't remember the exact year, only that it happened while I was attending high school [1971 - 1975]. I very clearly remember sitting in a chair at the home of my friend mark [That is his real given name. For obvious reasons, I will omit his family name]. As I remember, Mark and I were having a conversation whose subject I forget. It was no doubt a casual conversation with no fixed subject. Just two kids talking. But I will never, never forget the look of shock and astonishment that came over his face. He was looking at me totally confused. He asked me: "Why did you just say, 'Let's have a party.'" I told him that I had not just said, "Let's have a party."

I asked my friend what happened. It seems that I had stopped speaking in mid-sentence and said, "Let's have a party." Then I proceeded to continue with the rest of my sentence. The thing is that, our conversation, whatever it was about, was NOT about a party or having a party. Whatever sentence I was uttering at the moment did NOT have the idea of having a party as a subject. I stopped in mid-sentence, interjected the statement - "Let's have a party - and then continued on with the rest of my original sentence!!!

A the thing that is even stranger is that I had NO recollection or the slightest awareness/cosciousness that I had even uttered the words, "Let's have a party. That is why I was confused when I saw the shocked expression on his face. I asked him: "Mark, what's the matter? Are you o.k.?" That's when he asked me why I had just said, "Let's have a party." I told him that I did not say that. He said: "Yes, you did."

In the heart of my hearts, I know that Mark was "putting me on." He was not playing a joke on me. It was something that I could sense. Not only was he totally dumbfounded and confused, he was also a little scared. Emotions such as those cannot be faked. More than 80% of what we communicate to others is non-verbal in personal, face-to-face interaction. In such cases, words convey only 20% of what we have to say.

This incident, again, leaves me "scratching my head," and wondering what happened.

I should say that Mark and I were not using the Ouija board at the moment this "Lets have a party" incident occured. As I recall, we had finished a "session" earlier. But I don't remember how much time elapsed, or even if we had used the Ouija board on that particular day or not. I think that we had had a session earlier, but I could not "swear" to it. I do remember that the incident happened during a period of time when Mark and I were using the board together.

I have one more strange thing to add. After the incident with Mark, I remember talking to a classmate of mine, named Paul, on the telephone one evening after the incident. It seems that he was also using a Ouija board with others. They were asking it questions such as what was my mother's birthday. I know because he told me so during our telephone coversation.

Here's the strangest thing of all. On the telephone, Paul told me that he and his friends had been discussing having a party

So, you see how the incident is both frightening and banal. I really am not comfortable with the notion of enunciating something [In this case, "Let's have a party] while being totally unaware that I had even said such a thing. I was totally unaware of what I had just said!!! That is not normal. And yet, how much more banal could it get? I mean to say that "Let's have a party" definitely lacks of profundity. Wiser words have been uttered.

So, I have to ask - Does anyone have a theory as to what might have happened? How could I possibly have a lapse in which I said something of which I was utterly unaware?

• Casper
    Casper
    It happened many many moons ago when I was young, and the dinosaurs had just become extinct. It happened when I was in high school [1971 - 1975, before the "Charlie's Angels" t.v. program and before "New Coke" and the "cola wars." We just had plain old "old Coke then].

LOL.... I like your sense of humor....

Goodness, a Ouija board...

Well, I'll tell you one thing, they scare the heck out of me...lol I've only been around one, one time in my life and I was only 6 years old at the time. But, even then... I knew they were scary, I don't know how I knew, I just did.

Hummm, do you feel that your friend Paul, was more or less speaking thu you..??? When you were talking to Mark, that is.

That is odd, to say something, so off the wall, and have no memory of it...... head scratcher for sure.

I have never knowingly experienced such a thing... hope someone comes along with something to add...

Cas

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Casper - You ask me if I think that Paul [or one of friends] may have been speaking through as if I were an unwwitting, and unwilling, "channel." Or perhaps I was experiencing some kind of "mind melt" [God, how I hate using such a hokey, "Star Trekish" term like that!]. All I know is that it happened just as I related - while conversing with my friend, Mark, on totally unrelated topic, in mid sentence, I blurted out - "Lets's have a party." And then continued on with the same sentence that I was originally expressing. I had had absolutely no awareness of stating, "Let's have a party." That is why I was surprised to see the shock on his face.

I mean that it might have been different if I had suddenly felt the urge to say, "Let's have a party," and had resisted or "wrestled" the idea - like some sort of struggle in my head. But that was not the case. I said it without being aware of saying it.

I'm really hoping that someone may offer some clue as to what could have happened.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Hi Casper - To preface my comments - and before eveything else that I say - let me thank you [and everyone else who has commented] again for having maintained such an intersting [and most importantly] respectful dialogue. I have shared some rather personal and painful questions [as have you]. I appreciate your honesty, integrety, thoughtfulness, and kindness, I have a couple of more "true Taiwan stories" to share, personal experiences that I had. Moreover, I am still in contact with certain students whom I taught in Taiwan. There is girl whom I remember claims to be a "ghost spotter." Aside from this one peculiarity, she seems perfectly normal, with a lovely personality and the face of an angel. If I see her on "MSN messenger," I may ask her to tell me more of her experiences. I'll ask her if she has specific ideas about the university's campus and its history.

In regard to the orbs that show up in your photos, like you, I am unable to say what they are. Like you, I have read both "pro" and "con" websites, that is to say websites which claim that these orbs are a genuine manifestation of "spiritual" phenomena, and skeptical websites that "debunk" such claims and ascribe the appearance of orbs in photos either to "natural" phenomenon such as dust/moisture, or to hoaxing.

I'll number my questions, not with the intention of composing an interrogation [or might the better word be, inquisition? ] list, but rather to facilitate your answering them [only if you choose to do so, of course].

I think my first question is my most important one, but it's not intended to be a "tough" one that puts you "on the spot." I ask you only out of curiosity.

1.) I wonder why you took a picture of a brick wall with windows in it. I'm sure that you have stories/jokes about people who go on vacation and rent hotel rooms "with a [horrible] view." A similar notion came to my mind. Why photograph a brick wall? I would expect to see nice-looking people, with gorgeous smiles included in photos. Were these photos taken as "test shots" to try out the camera?

2.) Were these orbs visible and floating around before the photos were taken? Were they noticed prior to the photos being taken? Is that why the photos were taken? Were the photos taken with the aim of getting evidence on film?

3.) Have you taken these photos to be examined by an expert? Perhaps expert techinical analysis will reveal some clues. After all, there exists the possibility that you "have something here," as they say.

4.) Does the place/area where these photos were taken have a "history"? Have there been any bizarre/violent/tragic events associated with the place/area in which the photos were taken?

5.) Does it not seem to you that the whole orbs-appearing-on film phenomenon came about with the advent of digital cameras? I mean, do you remember orbs appearing on film in the day of "roll film cameras"? Do you remember the days when you had to bring your film to a pharmacy or "fotomat" to have it developed? Do you remember the days of double [and possibly triple] exposure?

I'm wondering if this "orb" phenomenon might not be the bane and "curse" of digital cameras, just as double exposure "bewitched" roll film cameras. I remember reading somewhere, perhaps on this board, that this "orb feature" was common with digital cameras. Perhaps you could consult an expert optician. At the very least, he/she may suggest ways that you could avoid this phenomenon in the future.

6.) As a general question, I have to wonder: Assuming for moment that orbs are indeed manifestations of some spiritual energy/entity, why do these things always take the shape of spheres or orbs? Why not little squares or triangles?

7.) I have to say that the shiny sphere in the top photo looks a lot like a ping-pong ball. I know that you are an honest and sincere person. But I wonder if some prankster may have had the intent to play a trick on whoever took the photo. I am not saying it is definitely a ping-pong ball; but it looks like one. Please don't be offended. I'm not saying that you are offering the photo as a hoax.

8.) Could you say who took the photo? Could there be any possibility of someone playing a trick on someone else, not to be cruel, just to have fun?

Please feel free to answer any, all, or none of my questions. In any case, I thank you again for your sharing and your kindness.

• Casper
    Casper

1.) I wonder why you took a picture of a brick wall with windows in it. I'm sure that you have stories/jokes about people who go on vacation and rent hotel rooms "with a [horrible] view." A similar notion came to my mind. Why photograph a brick wall? I would expect to see nice-looking people, with gorgeous smiles included in photos. Were these photos taken as "test shots" to try out the camera?

LOL.....

That does look silly doesn't it..........

I should have stated that the pics have been "cropped" to avoid showing all the nice-looking people and gorgeous smiles..

Trust me, they are down below.... it's a two story house, and I was standing in the distance...about 20 feet.

Gotta run for a bit....

When I return, I will respond more fully.........

Hope you are feeling well today....

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit