Giving talks terrified my hubby-how about you?

by QuestioningEverything 19 Replies latest jw friends

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Me and the hubby were talking about back in the day when we had to give public talks. I'm a natural chatterbox and not very shy. My hubby is just the opposite. He said giving talks used to terrify him and his parents really pushed him to join the school. How about you- any memories or thoughts about when you gave a talk?

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I remember that I was 10 and I didn't want to do it. I was shy and hated speaking in front of people this also applied to fs. I would get so nervous that I'd get nauseated and have diarrhea, sometimes I'd even cry. But noooo I had to do anyway. Probably looked like an ass up there bugger and snott'n all over the place. It's a wonder they understood anything I said.

I didn't stop being shy until after I had my son and was in college.

Did I mention that this is a stupid cult?

nj

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'm good in small groups and one on one. Audiences scared the bu-Jesus out of me. I would compensate by taking my glasses off and observing a blur.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I'm horrible in personal group situations, like parties. Can barely function. Anything could happen! OMG, I don't feel safe!

But on a stage - it's a piece of cake. It's highly structured, I know the rules, and the audience does, too. I feel empowered and feel that I can take whatever steps are needed to get my point across.

I'd give a talk a week if I had to. But don't ask me to go to a potluck!

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

I was terrified to get up on the stage. They say practice makes perfect; not in my case. My legs would skake and I also would get nauseated. The sisters have to put together what I refer to as a "play" and present the info in a realistic and interesting format. The real kicker is if you are not enrolled in the school you get labeled weak. How's that for your self-confidence? Oh---forgot the best part!! After all the time that was given to prepare your talk an elder with barely (usually) a highschool diploma grades you. I am getting a little weak in the knee's thinking about it....

Meow

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Naw I love hearing myself talk, so no biggie.

I did have stage fright for a long time but it finally went away.

Only got really anxious as the mic was being adjusted. Felt so bad I thought I'd pass out or throw up. Then I would begin and it would all go away within... milliseconds. Very very strange it was.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Always hated it. It made me physically ill. Can you say torture?

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Yes they did, I never liked the TMS.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

I was a natural from age of 8 back in the 50's. After a while, I'd walk up to the mike, look at the audience, smile, one glance at my notes and away I went. Sometime if I didn't have the right spot in my notes I'd adlib and know one knew the differance. They weren't listening to half the parts that were given anyways.

NMG

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Nope I was a total natural from day one, it was really easy for me, but my father was also a great speaker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit