Could you explain 1914?

by digderidoo 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• carla
    carla

Mr. Kim, I fail to see how that explains 1914. I'm sure it is just me but what the heck?

I have met with and elder, ms & long time r & f besides having a newer cult member in my house, not one of them could explain 1914 and said I needed 'studies' to fully appreciate it

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

"Freeme" has the process quite correct with : Daniel 4:10-16: seven times / Revelation 12:6, 14: 3 1/2 times = 1260 Days => 7 times equals 2520 Days / Ezekiel 4:6: a day for a year = 2520 years / 607 b.c. Jerusalem destroyed / no zero year / 607 b.c + 2520 years = 1914.

Each of these steps has its flaws, the greatest being the WTS's incorrect date for the destruction of Jerusalem.

Russell, the founder and first President of the WTS, taught that Jesus Christ's "parousia" took place in 1874. He built a series of dated events that were based on that presumption. Russell foresaw a harvest period of 40 years ending in 1914, at which time the Zionists would bring in an unprecedented era of peace.

Russell's expectations failed. When Rutherford forcibly took over the reigns, he changed Russell's teachings. But even as late as 1930, Rutherford still taught that the "parousia" had taken place in 1874. So the current positions are based on Rutherford's reconstructions made during the 1930s.

Doug
    Melbourne

• New light for you
    New light for you

its 607 bce times Pi, divided by the amount of anointed.... over the fraction of governing body members to apostates.

• Mary
    Mary

I am embarrassed and ashamed to say, "Yes", I could fully explain the whole 1914 doctrine. I could explain the "7 times" and how in biblical prophecy it really equally 2,520 years (after flipping to Revelation and Numbers to 'prove' it). I took 607 BCE as a matter of faith (I wasn't even aware that it was an incorrect date until I read CoC) and apparently few people at the doors knew about it either as no one ever questioned me about it. It was then a matter of simply telling the person that God's Kingdom was foretold to be set up in 1914 and of course as 'proof', we've got WWI and the rest is history.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I remember being so proud of myself, once, for having explained it so thoroughly, and elegantly, to a girl that I worked with. Then I looked over and saw the puzzled expression a person gets on their face when they see a monkey screwing a chicken. She thought I was a nutcase.

• oompa
    oompa

I did...but it was hard dammit....always...........good point girl!...........oompa

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Mr. Kim, I fail to see how that explains 1914. I'm sure it is just me but what the heck?

It's not just you. It doesn't eplain how they arrive at the 1914 date in the first place, which I believe is the point of the initial post.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I had to explain it when I was assigned boring service meeting parts... but I could see that most of the audience couildn't understand it or explain it later...

But explaining it enough times is what led me to feel like "WTF... this doesn't make sense"... and the rest is history... 1914 was my ticket out of the tower...

A@G

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

I agree with you A@G-

Even though I could explain it I never really bought into it.

And don't believe 10%of JW can explain it.

My guess is 3%-5% can relate the official party line.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Back in the day I could explain it backwards and forwards. Big deal. It was still nonsense.

Nowadays the average spare Witness doesn't care about little details Freddie Franz cooked up decades ago. Probably just as well.

Still a cult though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit