Stevie Nicks -- witch?

by gloobster 27 Replies latest jw friends

• gloobster
    gloobster

Do the JW's still consider Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac to be a pagan witch-type? I picked out the song "Landslide" for my mother's funeral about a month ago, which most of my extended family, JW's one and all, attended. It didn't even cross my mind when I selected the song, my mom just had always liked it. Not that I really care what they think, and neither did my mother, but I wonder how horrified some of them were if that is indeed the case. I seem to remember my dad's JW brother making some kind of comment about it, and at the time it seemed a little weird, but it's making more sense now. . .

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I never have heard that...Although I loved the Fleetwood Mac "Rumors".

hope4others

• carla
    carla

My jw claimed she was a witch or pagan or some such thing and said if I sang along to her music I was participating in her 'worship'. yeah, right. Though he didn't seem to have a problem watching her on a PBS special and putting her (or Fleetwood Mac) cd's in.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

yup - one of my elders said so.

i never listened though. Im sure most artists wouldnt be able to be listened to if they scrutinized every little thing they did, according to the witnesses. And then there would only be kingdom songs -- but hey, doesnt one of em sound like a christmas song?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

That's a beautiful song you chose.....I hope its ok to post this...

If it will bother you I will come back and delete it.

Hope4others

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m-4BojWdjRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-4BojWdjRE

• JeffT
    JeffT

Google "Rhiannon" for a some history on this. Before she joined Fleetwood Mac Stevie Nicks bought a book called "Triad" at an airport. The book is apparently a retelling of a Welsh myth featuring a witch named Rhiannon. Nicks liked the name and wrote the song about it. When the song became popular it was something of an urban myth that she claimed to be an incarnation of Rhiannon (I thought it was true myself). She's spent years trying to distance herself from the story and they urban myth. I have no doubt some JW's, Fundamentalists and probably more than a few Wiccans still believe it.

• gloobster
    gloobster

Hope: It doesn't bother me in the least--it's a beautiful song, that's why I chose it. It makes me think of her life, not of her death, and that is a very positive thing for me right now.

BTW, how do you do quotes from other posts here? Like with the yellow background? Sorry, kind of new to the forum thing in general.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Left clk highlight the words and use the little clipboard, it will bring up a box to add it here (accept)

There is also a little quote next to the smilie guy to put it in a box if you like. And if you want to use yellow its above next to

the A. Again you have to highlight and then click on the yellow pen above.

h40

• gloobster
    gloobster

Left clk highlight the words and use the little clipboard, it will bring up a box to add it here (accept)

There is also a little quote next to the smilie guy to put it in a box if you like. And if you want to use yellow its above next to

the A. Again you have to highlight and then click on the yellow pen above.

Awesome---I think it only works in internet explorer tho :(. Well, now I know!

Thanks!

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway

I've been a longtime Stevie Nicks fan and this is a persistent,but untrue, rumor that she has denied a number of times; but eventually got tired of doing so.Part of the reason is that she has always liked the enchanted, mystical/gothic,gypsy,flowing type oufits as well as the color black.Although I've seen here wear white many times too..She also wrote a song called "Rhiannon", a name she liked from a book she read on a flight,and later found out the name was taken from Celtic mythology and that Rhiannon is the Welsh goddess of birds, steeds and the moon, as well as other things.What's interesting about the story is that Rhiannon was accused of something she didn't do; a crime she didn't commit.Incidentally, one time out in service I mentioned to a "sister" who was known to be "not so innocent",that I liked Stevie Nicks, and her response was: "Isn't she a witch ! " I said: "No, that's not true.I don't care anyway." So many JW's, and other off-kilter religionists, do still consider her a witch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit