Phone Conversation With My Dad (Elder)...

by deaconbluez 10 Replies latest jw friends

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

I got so pissed off yesterday after this phone conversation...he's such a sweet man, but very much under the control of the Watchtower. We both agreed that we missed each other and would love nothing more than to be able to do some stuff together and have a relationship, but he said, "That's all up to you." And I said, "Oh really? Well if that's the case, let's plan a trip or something in the next couple of weeks." And he said, "Well there's more to it than that." I said, "You mean I've got to become a Witness again in order for us to have a relationship?" And he said, "Well...when you put it like that it doesn't sound right." And I said, "DAD, THAT'S BECAUSE IT ISN'T RIGHT." His same old reply to everything at that point: "Well we just see things differently, and I just hope that one day you can change your point of view."

It's just so frustrating that there is NO comprehension of thought when talking to a Witness.

I told him that in order for me to go back to being an active Witness, I would have to profess to believe things that I know are wrong and unscriptural. He said, "Well those things don't really matter...what matters is that our DOCTRINES don't change...they'll always be the same." So I brought up that the 1914 teaching is the bedrock of ALL Witness teachings, and the "generation of 1914" teaching was just totally changed in the last year, which makes the 3rd or 4th time that it has changed total. And yet again, his response, "Well I don't know about all that, and I don't have time to do all the research that you have...so we'll just have to disagree on that."

So frustrating. 2 Thess. 2:11 is proving to be so true in the case of my parents and other family: "For this reason, God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false." (New American Standard Bible)

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

"And he said, "Well...when you put it like that it doesn't sound right." And I said, "DAD, THAT'S BECAUSE IT ISN'T RIGHT." "

HELL YEAH

• kzjw
    kzjw

Are you suer you weren't talking to my wife? It sounded soooo familiar

• maximumtool
    maximumtool

Holy crap...it is scary how familiar that sounds. It is like those creepy thought controlled children in early 80's horror films. Voices droning in unison...

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's just sad...and maddening. No thought process.

I have an elderly faithful JW mother and I go through phases where I just accept things as they are. Then sometimes it's just sad because there is just no thinking, no questioning.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    "Well I don't know about all that, and I don't have time to do all the research that you have...so we'll just have to disagree on that."

This statement say a lot. He's willing to allow a disagreement destroy his family because he doesn't have time to research it?

If I was about to lose someone I loved I'd make the time to do the research. Can't he take a day off work and allocate the time to doing research? Not even for the sake of his family?

W

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez
    If I was about to lose someone I loved I'd make the time to do the research. Can't he take a day off work and allocate the time to doing research? Not even for the sake of his family?

I agree. When he says that, I am often just shocked.

But the one thing that he is more devoted to than the Watchtower...is his job. So it really makes sense. Every waking moment of his is spent either working or preparing parts for meetings.

• sacolton
    sacolton

It's no wonder that this religion is for people who don't like to think for themselves. Their minds are owned by the WTB&TS.

• BreakingAway
    BreakingAway
    "Well those things don't really matter...what matters is that our DOCTRINES don't change...they'll always be the same."

That's not evidence of truth; simply evidence of dogmatism.Plenty of people on this earth never change their views, but they sure aren't right.It really is a non sequitur.

• iceguy
    iceguy

Its interesting your dad does not know the generation change. I think at least 80% of JW's do not know the generation change and those that do know probably struggle with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit