I have a wierd take on praying, what about you?...

by Hecklerboy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Limited petitioning, but
    constant thanking.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Not asking for too much, but constantly thanking for what I already have. But prayer mostly is for 'PRAISE & WORSHIP'! Prayers are answered for those HE considers his children. Even his bad kids!

Outaservice

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

When did I realize I was God? One day I was praying and I realized I was talking to myself..

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I'm agnostic. I don't pray. I do understood that it helps others' though, the same way that meditation might.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Incredible!

I was just praying that someone would start a thread about prayer.

And see what happened?

Let he/she/it be praised!

It's like when I was a JW and I'd been praying to Jehovah about rare species of butterflies and I'd go to the mailbox to find an Awake with an article about... rare species of butterflies.

Jehovah really is the Hearer of Prayer.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

All this talk about thanking and praising brings up another thought.

Why does the most powerful being in the universe need an insignificant creature like humans praising him? Why does he even care? Seems a litte egotistical to me. I mean if you are interested is space and time then you realize just how small and insignificant we really are. I just can't imagine our praise does anything for God.

Just for the record: I'm on the fence as to weather there really is a God or not. But sometimes I breakdown a pray when things get real bad. Like when my marriage was going down the tubes. Guess he didn't answer that one for me. Strike one up for there being no God.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Very honest reply, Hecklerboy.

Glad you took my post in the way it was intended.

Regards,

Nate

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

I'm somewhere between NanaR and Heckler. I've always believed in God, even when those who called themselves His representatives were mucking things up. I felt that was people's fault, not His. Anyway, I look to God for the basics I need to get through life--strength, endurance, patience, perserverance, wisdom. And I look to Him to provide for my everyday needs, not necessarily my wants. In the scheme of it all, I cannot complain. As far as prayer, what works for me is SINCERE, heartfelt contact with Him--for the big things and the little details, which surprisingly, I have more trouble with. Nothing's too small for Him, considering that everything is small compared to Him anyway (I read that somewhere). I do believe that constant prayer can sometimes become rote, mechanical--like brushing one's teeth. Do YOU get excited about brushing your teeth? I don't. [Pauses to remove dentures to put in glass of water and Polident]. What's more, God wants us to be thankful. That doesn't mean we have to gush and go over-the-top. People want that, not God. He's satisfied with a simple "thankyou," because He knows we could never repay Him--He who has everything and is the Creator of all. The main point is this: whether you pray sixteen times a day, or once in a blue moon, God is an appreciator of SINCERITY and HUMILITY. He's here for us and wants us to lean on Him. Don't let anyone make you feel insignificant concerning that. Take care.

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

I'm somewhere between NanaR and Heckler. I've always believed in God, even when those who called themselves His representatives were mucking things up. I felt that was people's fault, not His. Anyway, I look to God for the basics I need to get through life--strength, endurance, patience, perserverance, wisdom. And I look to Him to provide for my everyday needs, not necessarily my wants. In the scheme of it all, I cannot complain. As far as prayer, what works for me is SINCERE, heartfelt contact with Him--for the big things and the little details, which surprisingly, I have more trouble with. Nothing's too small for Him, considering that everything IS small compared to Him anyway (I read that somewhere). I do believe that constant prayer can sometimes become rote, mechanical--like brushing one's teeth. Do YOU get excited about brushing your teeth? I don't. [Pauses to remove dentures to put in glass of water and Polident]. What's more, God wants us to be thankful. That doesn't mean we have to gush and go over-the-top. People want that, not God. He's satisfied with a simple "thankyou," because He knows we could never repay Him--He who has everything and is the Creator of all. The main point is this: whether you pray sixteen times a day, or once in a blue moon, God is an appreciator of SINCERITY and HUMILITY. He's here for us and wants us to lean on Him. Don't let anyone make you feel insignificant concerning that. Take care.

• restrangled
    restrangled

The only time I pray, and believe me its short, is a thankyou for what I am enjoying.

It's usually about something beautiful in nature and I am just sending my appreciation.

Other than that......never.

So I hope when God hears from me it's not with a dreaded groan of knowing some request is coming in!

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit