I have a wierd take on praying, what about you?...

by Hecklerboy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Everytime I talk to someone about praying they say that they pray all the time. Talk to God whenever they can. Well I'm just the opposite. I only pray when it's something really big that I can't handle on my own. I don't see the point of bothering God with the boring details of my life. My way of thinking is this: God put us on this earth, gave us intelligence and freewill. He taught us what we are supposed to do and sent us on our way. I think we should be able to make decision on our own and deal with the consequences of those decison without asking for his help constantly. If you had a child that you raised and they moved out would you want them calling you constantly asking for help with every little decision. Sure you would would help them if they were in trouble and needed you. But wouldn't get annoying if they constantly called and ask for help. Wouldn't it make you wonder if you did a good job raising them?

I also think that it kind of cheapins the value of prayer. I just doesn't seem as important if you do it all the time. This is the most powerful being in the universe we are talking to. I hate to bother him/her/it if I don't have to.

So what your take on praying? All the time or just when you need serious help?

• catbert
    catbert

I also chose to pray only for the "big stuff".
    Financial help mostly. I think people make a mistake when they think it is wrong to pray for financial
    help. Really, in this world, money is what fixes many of your problems. You can be unhappy, and be well off
    financially, but money problems are the root of most unhappiness in the world.
    Bill Gates will help more people get well than mother Theresa ever did. And how? Money.
    So I pray for money.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I try not to talk to myself except under the influence of massive amounts of beer.

• Casper
    Casper

Heckler,

Sounds like you found a system that works for you...

Personally, I stopped praying 10 years ago when I left the org. We were all told that our prayers didn't go any farther than the ceiling, if we didn't worship Jehovah so I thought, what's the point.

There are times tho... that I really feel a need to beg someone for help, or want to express gratitude or appreciation for the beauty around me.

I am still searching for that "Someone or Something".

Cas

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I only pray when it's something really big that I can't handle on my own.

I think I am like this also...... But I also pray when something fills me with joy and gratitude as a thanks. When my heart is filled. I felt this looking at the moon a couple of nights ago with the fog coming over the cypress woods the bats flitting and the frogs peeping. Or when I see my child sleeping peacefully. There is much to be thankful for. I also pray for those near me that I love. I pray very little for myself other than to help understand and love better. That's just me I guess. I feel unworthy I guess. I feel I have been given "enough" and why would I ask for more?

BTS

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I talk to myself all the time, it's the only intellegent conversation I can get! ;)

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Pray to who or what? I can't do this anymore.

• poppers
    poppers

I stopped praying when I finally realized that that made me feel separate from God. I was creating an artificial separation by the very act of praying.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

i feel weird about praying, but dont know why :shrug:

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Here is a wierd question about prayer.

For the first 35 years of my life I prayed. I probably did not pray according to the watchtower best practices, but most were heartfelt. For the past 16 years I have not prayed once - EVER.

So, if god actually listened to 35 years of my prayers is he wondering why, now, I am ignoring him? If so, does he care?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit