Growing number of memorial partakers explained(?) by local elder

by stillin 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillin
    stillin

I brought this up in a conversation after today's meeting. The elder knowingly acknowledged the growing number and pointed out that of course, now we understand why this is so. I gave my best blank stare and said "we do?" He said yes that it has to do with the overlapping generations. By this time my head was getting numb, so rather than say anything stupid, I just said "huh!"

does anybody here have a clue what he was talking about?

• Kanon
    Kanon
    I would guess, there is supposed to be another influx hearing the calling, from the 2nd part of the overlapped generation.
  • blondie
    blondie

No, maybe he thinks that because there is more than one generation that means there would be more anointed. The number 144,000 is finite per the WTS and would just be spread out over a larger space of time, not more than 144,000.

In 1925, over 95,000 people attended and partook...no great crowd then.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

This is purely his own personal mental gymnastics to ease his doubts. Think about it - the first part of the overlap would've had to have been anointed prior to 1914, so they've long since died off. Indeed all but maybe a handful would've died off well before they ditched the teaching that the anointed were'sealed' in 1935, which opened the floodgates for newly anointed. Therefore none of the newly anointed could be a part of the second half of the overlapping generation - they're just extra, I guess.

The only explanation is that God must have done a tally a few years ago and come up short of 144k and had to scramble to find some new anointed. I guess that also explains why the newly anointed seem to have been chosen in haste - they all seem a bit...off.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The elder knowingly acknowledged the growing number and pointed out that of course, now we understand why this is so. I gave my best blank stare and said "we do?" He said yes that it has to do with the overlapping generations.

So..

Every generation gets its own 144,000??!!.....LOL!!!!!!

144.000+144,000+144.000+144,000+144.000+144,000+...ECT..Ect..ect..

Image result for but wait there's more

144.000+144,000+144.000+144,000+144.000+144,000+...ECT..Ect..ect..

• steve2
    steve2

There is one major factor that explains the increased elasticity around JW teachings:

The continued passing of time with no end in sight.

It creates tension as teachings need to be adjusted such as the core doctrine that the generation that was old enough to witness world war one would still be alive when the end came. And, of course, the continued passage of time leaves more opportunities for members to develop their own elasticitiy regarding whether the number of anointed has already been completed.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

stillin: does anybody here have a clue what he was talking about?

Of course not, and neither does that elder.

He tried to use a nonsensical teaching to explain a discordant fact that flatly contradicts decades of JW "Old Light."

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

He clearly forgot about the doctrine change that removed the barrier for sealing from 1935.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

He said yes that it has to do with the overlapping generations

An elder has the inalienable right to bullshit on his own if it supports the other intervening doctrines.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Since the WTS has come out and said that many who now partake are mentally deranged, maybe he should have said due to there being more people coming into the organization, there is going to be more mentally deranged people who are going to partake.

Now there's a logical explanation. !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit