Do active JW's on this forum still practice shunning?

by Thechickennest 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL@BFD..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

StAnn:

Second, you do have a choice. What you are doing re: shunning is the choice you've made to protect yourself within the org. I understand what you're saying, but you are choosing to treat someone like a leper to protect yourself. Period. It is your choice to do what you feel you must, but I would at least ask that you not lie to yourself and us and say you have "no choice."

I was going to write something very similar. Yes, it's a horrible choice to have to make, to shun or be shunned but it's still a choice.

freethinker2009, by choosing to shun your so-called friend you are perpetuating a cycle of abuse - you are abusing him in order to avoid being a victim of the same abuse. It's a difficult choice, one which you are making under coercion and one for which I will not condemn you, but don't you dare say that it is not within your power to do otherwise.

• LeHarlot
    LeHarlot

Although I'm not an active JW, I still see shunning practiced by my family. I've actually become quite good friends with two people AFTER their disfellowshipping. In both instances my friends were treated cruelly by the elders and on top of it barred from contact with the "friends". I really wonder, who would want to be friends with a JW if they aren't going to stick with you through the tough times in your life?

• agent zero
    agent zero

although still "active", i now no longer believe in shunning because i've come to see df'ds as mostly good people that simply had different opinions then are set out by the WTS, or their own way of seeing things which to me is perfectly normal.

this being said, i have little or no contact with df'ds (other then on this board) now because most of the ones i know have been out so long that i just don't have any contact with them anymore anyways. i also found that if you do happen to come across one, they're pretty much just as awkward about it because they've been on the other side and know what it's (supposed to be) like. in the case however that one is willing to talk and all, i have no problem with that, i'll be equally open and receptive.

A0

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

I think very few active jws here will admit to shunning, since they are likely to chastised on this board for still doing this, when so many here are on the other side of the 'dub snub' ( hee -hee, I like that term BFD )

What I've noticed has been quite the opposite, however. DF'd persons who still attend meetings tend to show a lot of respect and will tell someone who unknowingly speaks to them, that they're DF'd. I have had that happen to me several times where I've missed the announcement or visiting another KH, and spoke to someone and they've let me know that they are DF'd. Maybe they are trying to get reinstated, I don't know, but I don't think I've ever seen a DF'd person trying to actively socialize at the hall.

I don't run into many jws outside of meetings, although I work with several, one of whom is DF'd and I speak to him all the time. Just 'hi' and 'bye'. I pretend I don't know about him being DF, but in actuality I just don't care. I would probably speak to anyone that I ran into, although I doubt I'd be hi-fiving them at the meetings. I'm much more likely to make eye contact and definitely smile. ( as a matter of fact I do this on purpose, because I know it's hard on them, especially the younger ones)

• BFD
    BFD

I really would love to hear more answers from the seat warmers of JWD.

Maybe I'll learn something.

Or maybe you're all to afraid to face your own hipocracy!

Come one, come all.

BFD

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

even though im disfellowshipped, technically you still arent supposed to talk to other disfellowshipped people (where this idea is from i dont know) -0- but i regularly talk to 2 disfellowshipped friends of mine (one disassociated) and an "apostate" friend of mine from WAY back from before i even knew of witnesses and realized he used to be one.

• BFD
    BFD

So easy a child could figure out what is right and wrong...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/162318/2998451/post.ashx#2998451

Come on, let me hear it seat warmers.

BFD

• BFD
    BFD

Cowards.

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

I admit that one of the most painful things is knowing for Years and Years I shunned fellow gays and others who left the Organisation. I wanted to do the right thing, but now I see it for what it is. A cruel, evil, practice. If I had a choice, I would go back and undo any pain I may have caused. I will NEVER knowingly act in such a way again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit