Is it just me?

by almostbitten 13 Replies latest jw friends

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

I've listened to a number of JWs speak about the "New World" and it strikes me that many of them plan to carry a lot of materialistic and worldly expectations with them. For example, I heard one lady complain about the Williams' (Venus and Serena) success as tennis players, that they should be out there preaching and waiting to play tennis in the new world. Another one came from a visiting elder speaking at the local hall. He said that he realized that he was spending too much time playing golf in this "system of things," and that he should wait until the new world so he can play all the golf he wants!!! One girl wondered what the news broadcasts will be like since their will be no bad news to report. WTF?!? Okay, maybe it is me, but I'm thinking, "According to YOU guys, these are worldly habits and desires. SO, if this system of things will fade away, what makes you think all of these habits, hobbies, institutions, etc. will be present in the next go 'round, excepting the bad people?" Furthermore, what in the Bible would even support this?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Oh, boy! Are they in for a very rude awakening. If only they would read the Bible on their own and see what is in store for our ol' planet Earth in 2 Peter 3:10. God is going to destroy everything off the face of the world with fire. Nothing will be left. Even the heavens will burn up. How can they even think that things will be like they are now? Golf in the New System? LOL!

I almost feel sorry for them.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I think the time to play tennis and golf is right now, in the life we know we have.

But that idea of playing sports in the "new system" is interesting. Would you be able to keep score, or would that be 'stirring up competition' in a manner like the old system of things? If you're perfect in the new system, would you ever make mistakes on the tennis court or on the golf course? Would points and games last forever in tennis because no mistakes are being made?

- Gopher of the 'carrying things to their illogical conclusion' class

• sir82
    sir82

I know a lot of JWs who would seriously think twice about whether they wanted to be there, if they knew ahead of time there would be no golf in the "new system".

Of course, if there is golf, that also means there would have to be:

-- Shoe manufacturers

-- Ball manufacturers

-- Club manufacturers

-- Lawnmower manufacturers

-- Etc. etc. etc.

-- Not to mention a means of production for the raw materials for the above, a complex transportation network, etc.

-- Not to mention employees for all of the above

Given all of this, who exactly is left over to pet lions, pick fruit, and conduct "Bible" studies with resurrected folk?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Thats the loony UN-reality that the witness beliefs create. I remember being out in service and when a householder would reject a witness presentation as we walked away they would say something like 'That will be my house in the new system.'

Its like they suffer from a delayed expectation or enjoyment. They are willing to put off the pleasures of the world now, to wait and experience the same pleasure in Jehovah's perfect new system of things. Very unrealistic beliefs.

• TinyDancer124
    TinyDancer124

You can play golf with a branch and an apple.

• Mum
    Mum

Your post is right on point to show that JW's do not have a spiritual life. They attend sales meetings in order to qualify to live in a society of shallow, robotic fruit consumers. Reaching for my higher self and exploring spirituality are some of the great benefits of being a "worldly" person.

Regards,

SandraC

• james_woods
    james_woods

They are indeed pathetic with this pipe-dream of a "new world". I remember all the speculation that went on when some WT magazine had an illustration of the "new world" in which a tractor was pictured tilling the soil.

Immediately, the buzz was all over the congregation that maybe this meant that we would also have cars in the new world - a point that the WT of the day was unwilling to speculate on.

Also, remember all the useless calculations on how much land each person would have? And then there was the issue - who gets to live in Hawaii, or in the valley of Yellowstone Park, etc...? Not to mention all the pet tigers and so on...

• iceguy
    iceguy

I remember a group of jw's speculating about having cars and other convienences and this one brother says to everyone...I'm not getting up early in the morning to go to the factory and build your cars! They all just kinda of stood there and thought for a bit and they all walked away puzzled about what h just said...I was laughing because he he kinda of shattered their idea of a " Techadise."

• chickpea
    chickpea

it is actually quite sad that
    by and large the r&f will
    postpone all the things
    they long to have/do/be....

for all we really know
    this is our one chance to
    take a whack at life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest