Did You Receive All Those Gifts You Were Supposed To Get All Year Around?

by White Dove 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• White Dove
    White Dove

Because I was a born-in and raised in the WT, I was always told that we don't need holidays to tell us to give gifts to our children. We give them gifts all year around.

Did your parents ever make good on that promise?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Yup. My dad gave me quite a bit of stuff--a rifle, a shotgun, a calf, a few toys, etc.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Your dad sounds cool!

• yknot
    yknot

Us girls....NO

My brothers.....YES

My kids......Of course!

• snowbird
    snowbird

I raised my almost-35-year-old daughter in JW.

I always bought her toys, books, clothes, accessories, etc., the year round because I had this nagging feeling that it was wrong to deprive her of Xmas and birthdays.

I should have listened to what that feeling was telling me.

Sylvia

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

last year was the first time I celebrated christmas with my kids (luckily they are all still very young and haven't missed much yet) so my JW mom gave me a hard time about it. And you know what that is exactly what I told her "you always said, i don't need a special occasion to give my kids gifts, but you never ever even gave me one all those years"

it never changes - they just parrot what they are told at the KH and never give any thought to ANYTHING! what a bunch of robots

lily

• blondie
    blondie

Even if we hadn't been jws, we still wouldn't have gotten presents.

• kitsune
    kitsune

We didn't have much, but my parents always managed to get something small here and there throughout the year. We used to get toys and stuff for my cousins when we go to visit on the holiday breaks from school and they would get us stuff too. I used to get "bigger" presents for getting straight a's all year and to my surprise when I made Dean's List in college. Oh wait, no one is supposed to know I have a "corrupting" higher education. Darn.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Blondie,

Your story always makes me a little sad.

If I had been your mom, I would have spoiled you as rotten and I could have.

I try with my kids.

We got stuff occasionally but it was never a special occasion that would have made it more special than just "here" "thanks."

I loooooove the holidays and am learning to do them bigger and better every year.

I believe that the "we give gifts all year around" excuse is just an excuse.

Some of us like a little ceremony and celebration in our lives.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Nope! We got the necessary items when school started. We had a big family and my parents had a hard time financially. I understand that now but then it used to piss me off. Especially when they gave that tired line "you don't have to wait for birthday and holidays for things", yea cause we didn't get it at all!

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit