thinking of getting an ass. deg. after dubdom

by dogon 18 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'm thinking Pimpin'. But it ain't easy.

You gotta keep the pimp hand strong, and have a certain flair for fashion.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Amen Brother. Amen.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Why don't you stay in construction and get a PMP (Project Management Professional) certificate? It only takes 8 weeks.

• BurnTheShips
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Dogon -- Good luck to you, whatever choice you make.

Priest:

I was dumb enough to get my masters in it too. All so we can move to india and work for rupees.

You don't even have to move to India, to work for an Indian IT firm. I work (as a contractor) for such a company that has a large client right here in Minnesota. Most of my co-workers have exotic names that I've had to learn to pronounce.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Engineering seems to be a good field to get into right now. In fact we are needing a couple as I type this.

I've been taking classes on-line for the past year to get a Associates in Mechanical Engineering Technology. The school I'm enrolled at is great. The mail you all the study materials and you work at your own pace. Makes it easy to work full-time and go to school.

Check them out...

www.pennfostercollege.edu

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

What? an ass degree? I already have an ass masters...and I've never been to college!

Seriously though, I'm 37 and I start classes as a freshman next month. I plan on getting my associate's in arts with a concentration in criminal justice and then I'll transfer to another school to complete a bachelor's program in criminal forensic science. I figure law enforcement and forensics is another area that is recession resistant...and besides it's interesting work that I think I would be really good at.

Good luck.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It
    It is all going off shore. Unless you get a degree in gerontological ass wiping management, you are SOL in America.

Tech in Los Estados Unidos is not dead. It definitely has taken a hard hit from offshore firms. I don't think it is possible to offshore everything. Perhaps the majority of 1000+ staff companies will, but small software firms and consultancies will always exist here.

I used to work for a very large tech company. We did a tremendous amount of outsourcing to offshore and onshore firms. My personal experience with the offshore firms is that you get the top talent to start the engagements, but this quickly degrades after they move on to other projects. I am still close to my first Lead Tech guy from India. He is a fantastic person and extremely talented. Persons 2 through 4 were not so much. We constantly had to check up on them, estimates were consistently 2-3 times longer than what it would have taken our trained domestic staff to complete. Quality was less also. But who cared since the cost of the work was about 4x as cheap.

BTW: I have no tech degree (no degree at all, thanks WTS!) however, this has not stopped me from being self-taught, tremendously driven, and successful. Someday I may complete that BS in CS degree that is currently dormant on the shelf staring back at me with 15 or so credits left. Meh.

Seriously, I'd rather get out of tech all together since it is SUCH a rat race. I get tired of everything being life-or-death, 4am production support, on-call, blah blah.

- Not Feeling It

• iceguy
    iceguy

I'm 44 and in the near future I plan on going to flight school to get my commercial helicopter license.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit