How much of the Damage do you hide here?

by KW13 11 Replies latest jw friends

• KW13
    KW13

Its true many of you, myself included come here and express how we feel, but do you ever disguise how damaged an individual you are, even in real life? Sometimes i wonder (aside from here) whether people really can grasp what it means to have grown up in a world that means nothing now and isnt even relevant.

• yknot
    yknot

According to the therapist I started seeing......I minimize my feelings and reactions. (Hence try to be rational....or over-rational)

After doing some "visualization' excerises.....I am not seeing rationalizing as a bad coping skill.

I think I would have caved into a hole of depression (or some worser mental disability) never to see the light of day again if I didn't.....so needless to says I am not doing the 'visualization' exercises again.......to freaking painful.

Besides it is not like any of us can go back in time and change things......better to work on the hear and now and plans for the future.

Yea she also says I am too much a "rose colored glasses wearing pollyanna"

Damaged, very very damaged....but puting my best foot forward

Yknot

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I don't think that I am damaged but I do think that I have a different way of seeing the world then most people in our developed countries. Try and remember that we in our countries have it good compared to the rest of the world. The majority of the world's population does not live in "luxury" like we do. I find that when you take that in consideration our lives are not so bad. I do not hide anything of who I am any more. I do keep some aspects of my life private but WHO I am if you want to know I will tell you.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've never been a JW, but I had an odd childhood. I don't share with everyone "out there" what I've been through either. That's not aberrant, it's just smart.

On occassion someone will admit to crazyness in their own family. Then, I'll share my stories. That way, we can encourage each other that indeed the path of life is a strange one. We become closer in our companionship of pain.

There are many, many people in this world, though, who are running scared. They run from their own weakness and their shaded past. These people would likely react in horror to those same stories, and the unscrupulous among them try and use my apparent "weakness" to their advantage. Those sorts of people I happily leave in the dark.

• yknot
    yknot

Anti-Christ.... I use the same rational.

For instance if you own a place to live, have a TV and one car you are at the top 25% of the world's richest people!

Being a girl I also get to add that I can vote, drive a car unaccompanied by a male member of my family, own property, inherit, option to be employed, speak freely, and then play the double standard for being just a girl when it suits my mood to be whiny or other......

Jgnat....Hug

• trevor
    trevor

Life probably damages most people in the long run but leaving the Watchtower Society adds to the other knocks we take in life. Ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses who have lost their religion and their family are bound to be affected in some way.

This experience has made me more reclusive than I used to be. I am aware that I was more outgoing and open before. Now I am careful not to place too much value on people, to avoid being hurt again.

It is defensive behaviour and often follows depression. I recognise it in many people on this board who will relate to what I have expresses. Trust is hard for people to come by, when they have been so badly treated,

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Very Damaged

Don't take things seriously
    I shrug most things off

Irreverent on the satirical side

I commonly take the contrary position
    Even if I don't agree with it

I look people right in the eyes
    when talking
    Crystal blue
    Freaks people out

I can walk in a room
    Not say a word
    and P**s everyone off

It's a gift

But feeling much better now

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

You guys probably think I am far more damaged than my' worldly" friends. I live a pretty good life in general. I think I just come here to vent to others who would have some sort of clue what my "issues" are.

• zanex
    zanex

it is quite difficult sometimes for me to fully define the length of the damage I feel here...or anywhere. A lot of the problem I think is figuring out how much damage is there, how much is left, how much can realistically be resolved..etc etc...I look to this place because it reminds me that I am not alone...

-Z-

• KW13
    KW13
    I look people right in the eyes
    when talking
    Crystal blue
    Freaks people out

an art i have also mastered and several people end up saying to me, can you look away lol. not as bad as i was before tho!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit